SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleniontolto

Idea for Seattle gardening/food bartering website - input wanted!

eleniontolto
12 years ago

I recently came up with an idea for a website and I wanted some northwest gardener's opinions. I see it as a cool way to not only save some money by sharing and reducing waste, but also a neat way to grow community among local gardeners!

Be it spring, summer or fall, it seems like most gardeners end up with at least one or two crops that just produce more than can be eaten. All too often, much of this food goes to waste - who alive can keep up with the fertility of a healthy squash plant? Likewise, many gardeners can be overwhelmed by work that needs to be done digging garden beds, weeding, sowing seeds, building cloches, or what have you.

My idea is to start a forum-based website in which local gardeners could meet and trade for any gardening or food related item - food, work, or even knowledge. Using this website, people could post an offered ad, find somebody else with something that they would like to trade for, and the two could meet up and trade. I could see something like this being especially handy for things like plant starts and seeds. Or, if someone were going to be building a cobb oven, or constructing a cold frame, or doing some canning, they could post an offer to teach anyone interested the ins and outs while they're at it. In exchange, people could offer food, work, or whatever.

If such a website were to be successful, I think it would be great to take it a step further and set up the food equivalent of a swap meet. Every week or two, there would be a weekend food swap somewhere convenient in in the area where lots of people can show up with a couple of bags of whatever they have in excess and trade it for something else.

Anyway, thoughts???? Is this something anyone would be interested in?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting