SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eightoar

Greenhouse Ideas/Uses

eightoar
17 years ago

Hello all,

This is my first time on your forum. I moved this spring/summer into a new place, (renting), which inlcuded an unused greenhouse in the corner of the back yard. It is aprox 8' X 10' X 8', glass in the typical peaked roof style. It is surrounded on the sides and top by a latticed frame, about 1 foot from the glass. There are 2 panes missing, 1 on the corner of the roof and on on the bottom side. (Both can be replaced)

It is terribly overgrown with black berries, an unknown clematis on the top and one side and am English Laurel on the other.

There is no power to it directly, but an extention cord can be easily run to it if needed.

I have been given permision to do whatever I wish with the yard, including the greenhouse. There is a built in wood table/potting shelf running down one side and a low bed with 16 inch wall running down the other on the inside.

As I have never had access to a greenhouse before, I am unsure how I can take full advanatge of this.

Most of my plantings are in containers, (easier when moving) which include Japanese Maples, hostas, dalihas, irises, (under water in a small pond of mine), osteospernum, fuschias and bamboos. This year I picked up some Heliotrophe (which I would love to standardise somehow), Gunnera, 2 Cryptomeria, a few Papyrus for the pond, several Cannas and 2 Daturas (1double purple, 1 single white) both have seed pods right now.

I am looking for any ideas for over-wintering plants, spring, summer plantings and/or any other advice you may have to take advantage of the greenhouse.

Thnaks very much and have a great day

Scott

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional