SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Beans and Peas in Bloom Together

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

Both the bush snap beans and sugar snap peas are in bloom at the same time. I guess I can thank/blame the weather for this. As far as I can remember, this is the first year I've ever had the cool-season peas start blooming at the same time as the warm-season beans. Usually my beans are just starting to produce as the peas are finishing up.

The sugar snap peas, of course, were planted earliest, but then struggled to hang on in a really wet February-March that also featured some hot weather (hot in terms of what peas like) that made them stall and stop growing for a while.

The beans were planted a good 5 or 6 weeks earlier than usual and really haven't had any issues, other than something chewing on their leaves a little here and there. I am a little surprised they're already in bloom. That one 90-degree day we had here did seem to cause everything in the garden to start zooming up tall overnight, although it has been significantly cooler ever since.

Last week the sugar snap peas began blooming and setting peas. Considering when they were planted, I thought it was about time they should be blooming.

This week the three snap bean varieties that were planted earliest began blooming. It seems kinda soon for that, but I am not complaining. The other 4 varieties were planted about 3 weeks later, so won't bloom for a while yet.

So, looking at the two of them, it seems likely the pea plants will produce the first edible pod to be harvested, but they'll just barely beat the beans by a few days.

What an odd occurrence!

Other stuff we're harvesting and eating now are lettuce and other mesclun greens, beet greens, green onions, and spinach. Oh, and some herbs.

The early potatoes began blooming last week, so I think we'll be able to steal some new potatoes to cook with the first bush beans we harvest. Things don't get much better than that in April.

Now that the bush beans are producing, I'd better get busy planting pole beans. They go into a lower-lying area, so I've been waiting for that soil to dry up some and I think it is about as dry as it will get before the next round of rain showers makes it wetter again.

Veggie gardening is so much more fun when the harvest starts rolling in.

Dawn

Comments (3)