SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

the most important variable for starting seeds

and this is about any seeds you start in the house.. not just hosta ...

IMHO .... sterilize everything... and avoid a multitude of problems.. like bugs.. fungus.. molds.. etc ...

sterilize all your plastics ... pots.. trays .. tools... growing stand ... with 10% bleach ... think hospital operating room ... you might not get to 100% sterile .. but if you get to 90% ... you will .. in my opinion avoid 99% of potential problems ....

sterilize you potting medium ... even if the bag alleges it was previously done ... link below to doing it in your oven or microwave ....

and if you use tags to keep track of names.. use plastic ... and bleach ...

and ... clean the wings off the seeds.. as it has been suggested that airborne pathogens can be on them .... i have a little tea strainer and just grind DRY seeds on it.. and the chafe all falls off.. you can NOT damage a viable seed.. and any damaged were bad to start with .... though i never tried running them over in the driveway .. lol .....

what is your opinion of the MOST IMPORTANT VARIABLE?

i am getting very frustrated with GW ... they will not forward replies to posts.. they blame comcast... comcast blames them... i am stuck in the middle ... if you ever wish a reply.. and i don't reply ... think that i missed the post.. rather than i am avoiding you for some paranoid reason ... try a direct email from my members page ...

have fun and good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: medium sterilization

Comments (6)