SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctreynard

Nursery jaunt...a short review of Acer Gardens, Tower Farms, etc.

ctreynard
15 years ago

Hey, all! I had a great time being out and about today....the first place I went to was Acer Farms in Deep River, then figured I would backtrack to Broken Arrow, etc as time permitted.

I realize that it's deep in the season, and one can't rely exclusively on current stock as a gauge for if a nursery is "awesome" or "manure".

Acer Gardens in Deep River is AMAZING. PERIOD. WORTH THE DESTINATION DRIVE NOW. HUGE, the place has MANY, MANY plants, well-labeled + priced. (this comes into bearing later in the review).

BIG, well taken care-of gallons were $9.50. Really nice, kept up. I was given a tour by a woman who works there, Baylin. She was FABULOUS....she knew her stuff; bloom times, esthetics, etc. WONDERFUL. I can't say enough good things about her. Based on my visit there, Acer will be the first nursery i hit up for shrub/perennials. I believe that most plants were VERY reasonably priced.

After hitting up Acer, I went to Broken Arrow in Hamden, CT. As soon as I get there, in front of the entrance, I saw some beautiful trees, so i dawdled and read what they were. (show me a gardener that doesn't dawdle and drool over new plants, and I'll show you a liar)

When i walk thru the entrance, one of the employees said "hello?!" in an annoyed tone. Startled, i greeted her back, and proceed to keep walking. She gave an impatient grunt and said "did you want to know anything about the nursery?" (uh, no, i can handle it...thanks) and proceeds to tell me that conifers are over there, A is on this side, z is on that side, yada, yada, "wah-wah-wah-wah" (charlie brown's teacher)

THEN, she hands me a catalog, and tells me prices are listed in the catalog. Are you clucking kidding me?!? So whenever i see a plant, and am curious about how much it is, i have to turn thru the catalog (not a small task) which is divided up into a few sections, and the print is not the largest. WOW. Well, BONUS is that the perennials are 25% off; and judging by how much everything was (coneflowers were $18) that makes it JUST a couple more dollars than what they would be elsewhere. HMMPH. SMALL selection overall, poorly organized, badly labeled. Is it due to being late in the season? No clue.

The good about this nursery is that yes, they do have rarities in stock...for example, caryoptesis "summer sorbet", was very pretty. So i guess i would recommend it for being on a mission, but not just browsing. And watch out for the "gatekeeper".

I visited Tower Farms and Detrich Nursery on Route 10 in Cheshire. Tower Farms was having a perennial sale (1 and 2 qt only) and had nothing but the most common plants left, other than their conifers and speciality shrubs.

Detrich is medium sized, but was mostly empty except for the more common shrubs as well, and they weren't in the best shape either. Actually on the pricey side.

I also visited Andrew's Nursery in Amherst yesterday, and they still had QUITE an assortment of perennials and annuals! Annuals were $3.33, (larger plants and well-taken care of!) and most perennials were $7.99...and if you buy 10 you get the 11th free. The annual selection was still so diverse that when I make baskets next year, I'll be sure to head over there first!

Of course i had to hit up Bay State Perennials in Whately yesterday too....they were promising overall, but not a destination type of place, especially so late in the game.

So, pitchforks awarded based on current stock are:

5 pitchforks: Acer Gardens

3 pitchforks: Andrew's Greenhouse

2 pitchforks: Tower Farms, Detrich Gardens, Broken Arrow

Comments (12)