SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_seattle

Okay, what do you REALLY do with your hardy bananas in winter?

grant_in_seattle
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've planted them at a few gardens in Seattle, but have always moved across town each winter afterwards so have never had to "deal" with them myself in winter. So, what do those of you who have successful in-the-ground clumps of fiber banana (Musa basjoo) do with yours in winter?

I can read books and websites myself of course, so I'm looking for your personal experience with getting/keeping an established clump long-term in the ground. And yes, "doing nothing special" counts as a strategy, so chime in if that's what you do. :)

I'm in West Seattle, about two blocks from the Sound. I've put in three small plants and they've done really, really well this summer, but I've read things like "chop their tops at 12 inches from the ground" or "wrap in bubble wrap", and other strategies (though that might be for colder climates since I know they're much more cold hardy than our typical, or even chilly, winters). What do you do, or not do, with yours to keep them happy in the ground long term?

I've got a large Chinese golden lotus "banana" (Musella lasiocarpa, darn that Plant Delights Nursery catalog!) in a large pot outside but it's just going to have to fend for itself.

Thanks!

Grant

Comments (7)