SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Book: 'Starter Vegetable Gardens'

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

I'm currently reading one of the many new gardening books released in recent months. (Theres seem to be many, many new titles popping up on the bookstore shelves lately, perhaps reflecting the growing interest in edible gardening.) I've only had this book for one day and have been glued to it. I've already decided to use one of the book's plans ("The Easy-Care Bag Garden") to help our granddaughter plant her first garden this spring. Since I'm enlarging our own space for growing more veggies this year, I plan to utilize some of the plans from this book to develop my new garden spaces.

The book was written by long-time gardener and garden writer Barbara Pleasant and its title is "Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens".

When I first saw the book on the shelf, I thought to myself that it likely would be a great book for vegetable gardening newbies. After I picked it up and looked through it, I realized it would be of interest to many experienced gardeners as well. Since I've liked other books and magazine articles by Barbara Pleasant, I decided to buy the book and I am glad I did.

The book consists of three parts:

Part 1: Developing Your Garden Plan features four chapters, each devoted to a specific type of garden along with a three-year-plan to develop it.

Part 2: Essential Techniques and More Planting Plans. These ten chapters feature various gardening techniques and accompanying garden plans that relate to that technique.

Part 3: Pick-of-the-Crop Veggie Varieties gives a description of each veggie, some info on growing that vegetable, and several recommended varieties.

At the end of the book there is an Appendix that contains a glossary of basic gardener's lingo, sources for seeds and plants, a zone map and more.

This is a terrific book and, even after growing vegetables for many years now, I find it quite interesting and useful. It is beautifully illustrated and has many photographs. Each garden layout is shown not only when the first thing you plant in each bed, but with succession plantings detailed as well.

I've linked it in case any of you want to learn more about it.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Starter Vegetable Gardens

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting