SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostasformez4

Digging for buried treasure !

17 years ago

A week or so ago I went to visit a hosta friend I met from the Hosta Forum, Westy1941.

She and I have been writing back and forth for quite a while and found out we have many things in common ,not just our love of hosta. Our names both begin with C, we have bithdays in the same month and we were born in the same year! We even got married in the same year. How about that!

This was a visit to see her garden after she had come to see mine. I almost didn't invite her as I had seen pictures of her garden and it was to die for. Mine is much more simple and "hand" made. Well, after me thinking I'll never have to see this person again if I don't like her so why not have her come, she came, we met and bonded immediately.

I call us the country mouse,me, and the city mouse ,her. She lives in the "berbs", me in a more rural setting.

After much worry I headed for the city mouses home 6 hostas to share that she didn't have. Her garden was wonderful as I knew it would be.

As we headed to visit a local nursery we passed a home that had free chairs and made a u-turn to go back and look at them. As we drove back, there was someone else looking at them and we feared we were too late so rolled down the window and asked if they were taking them. No was the answer so we quickly loaded the 4 chairs into the car and spead off for more adventures! My only problem being the reaction of my husband when I showed him the chairs! Men don't understand these things!

The nursery was a relaxing way to spend time together and see all kinds of shrubs and plants to wish for.

After a nice lunch at a local Greek restaurant we headed back to dig plants from her garden. She mentioned that the area was filled with many rock deposits and we decided to go hunting for some.

We headed to a construction site and pails in hand started looking for rocks. It was a blast, the icing on the cake,kind of experience. The only problem being that we had nothing to dig with! We found some broken off lath and used them to uproot the half buried treasures.

There we were, two ladies who were the age of the rocks we were looking for, having a childhood flashback digging in the dirt. We couldn't have had more fun if we had planned it.

A car full of rocks, chairs, and plants later, I bid my new found friend goodbye and headed West to meet my husband at the local football game. The home team won by such a wide margin that I left early leaving my H there to finish watching the game. After all I needed to unload all my treasures before he got home.(Why is it necessary to be a little sneaky?)

All H said the next morning was: (1) the car was full of dirt, well maybe a little dirt(2) what was I going to do with more plants? put them in the ground what else (3) was I going to leave them there , they, the chairs, were still on the sun porch. Give a gal a break!

Everyting is put away except the rocks and I'll tackle them soon and find just the right place to put them.

Moral of the story: Country mouse can go the the city and have a good time.

Connie

Comments (10)