SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Got any ideas??

First, although a GW member for a long time, this is not a forum I have ever visited before. Not because I don't love hosta - I do....my old garden had dozens of plants - but simply because I'm not enough of a hosta guru to contribute anything meaningful and no personal issues with the plant ever turned up before.

But a recent post caught my eye - it was rather entertaining and I think I might have been missing some good stuff by not visiting before :-) - and a few of the comments got me thinking about I problem I DO have now that I just have kinda lived with. But I'd love to figure out how to fix it and there are obviously some smart cookies lurking here and I know someone will have some good ideas.

Part 1: I garden almost entirely in containers. Primarily because the topography of my garden doesn't lend itself to much inground stuff but also because what few shade loving plants I just have to have must live in containers to get the necessary shade. And these include hostas! Not many - there is a limit to how many containers I care to manage - but a few.

Part 2: I have slugs. This the the PNW afterall and slugs are the state mascot. Worse, I have snails.....and I mean escargot that any foo-foo French restaurant would go nuts for. Big, herking creatures that scooch everywhere and that seem to reproduce logrithmically. You can see where this is going.......

Part 3: It's not a trick the slugs seem to have managed yet, but the snails easily scale the sides of containers to feast on my gorgeous hosta foliage. Baiting the top of the container is no deterrant as the foliage of the lush, full plants hangs over the edge and the snails easily circumvent the bait by moving directly from the side of the container to the overhanging foliage and abracadabra.......my plants are Swiss cheese.

I have tried placing the containers on top of various stands or supports that supposedly the snails would not be able to climb. But the crafty little devils still manage the trek. Who would think a snail could traverse a loosely woven wire plant stand to get to the salad bar?? I think they must fall out of the sky with the rain! It's the only explanation I can think of.

So.........any creative minds out there that can figure out how to outwit the snail predation? Other than suspending my hostas in hanging baskets - not a method I favor - I can't come up with anything. But surely all those sharp hosta minds out there can come to my rescue.

thanx in advance........

Comments (17)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm