SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Spooks in the garden

mosswitch
12 years ago

It's almost Halloween, and I'm thinking about creating a "spooky" garden area in the woods. It's too late for this year, but if I start planning now, maybe next fall.

A google search gave me all kinds of spooky plant names, but mostly for sun and a lot of them are not in bloom in October. I'm looking for shade plants. Nothing is more spooky than the woods at night, so I need plants that kind of "glow" in the dark.

I'll need to pick a spot overhanging with grape vines for atmosphere. And an eerie, dead tree at the entrance of the path. I might have to scour the adjacent woods for this, and "plant" one in a good spot.

Think of Mirkwood in The Hobbit: "The entrance to the path was like a sort of arch leading into a gloomy tunnel made by two great trees that leant together, too old and strangled with ivy and hung with lichen to bear more than a few blackened leaves....the quiet was so deep that their feet seemed to thump along while all the trees leaned over them and listened"..Well, you get the idea.

A creaky gate made of twigs and grapevines in the path might be a good idea. Or a spider web gate.

As for plants, English Ivy up that afore mentioned dead tree (with a crow perched on the top, perhaps). Artemesia Silver King or lactiflora, on the sunniest edge of the woods here. There is already a "Bloodgood" Japanese maple down there in the area I have in mind, and a viburnum (witch hobble).

Ghost ferns

Wolfsbane (monkshood)

Toad lilies

Tiarellas ()Skeleton Key, Crowfeather)

Witch Hazel

Hostas:

Ghost Spirit

Grey Ghost

Witch's Brew

Dark Shadows

Goblin

Goosebumps

There are lots of hostas with cool spooky names on Hosta Library but I think most are not readily available.

Any other suggestions? Remember, they have to be in bloom (or at least up; no tulips, bloodroot, mandrake, etc) in October, shade growers, and spooky! And readily available. Help me have fun with this!

Sandy

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting