SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklavenderlady

Growing lavender

oklavenderlady
14 years ago

I thought I would answer you here, since I wasn't sure you would check my original post again.

Paula: As Susan says, Provence is a great lavender. From the ones I've tried, it doesn't need any particular soil, it stays healthy and it's dependable. Also, it looks good in winter and is fairly easy to find. I'd recommend it for a first plant. Just plant it where it won't stay too wet. My first plants I planted on the side of a hard clay small hill and they lived for 12 years until I finally dug them up. Just dumb luck, because I think it was the hill that made the difference. I don't feed lavender and once it gets going after being planted, I rarely water it. There are other varities of lavender that are better for cooking and a little better for fragrance. If you want to know the ones I like and their differences, let me know.

Susan: You're absolutely right. Provence is a great all around lavender. I've tried some of the other lavendin's, but they seem to be about the same or not as good. Certainly, no better.

Sandy: Which white lavender did you start? I ordered several packs of lavender seed from Park's last Dec but one has never come and the others came too late to start for this year. I'd like to hear about your winter sowing. I've read a little about it, but I don't know much.

Loretta

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County