SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstrpbk

Ammonia vs. 'Beneficial Nematodes'

mstrpbk
9 years ago

How to deal with Slugs? Here it is at the end of the 2014 growing season and I am looking st putting a prevention plan together for the 2015 season for the slugs. They were held back this year but they still had to much fun in my garden! These 'slug parties' have got to stop!

I have read that with the correct solution ratio of water and ammonia can be used to deal with slugs fairly effectively. My drawback to this is that ammonia is also supposed to cause weakness in the plants immune defense system AFTER it decomposes and leaves nitrogen behind. Excessive amounts of this element; as I understand it, causes the plants immune system to become weak. I am not sure at what point this occurs, so I am not entirely convened that this is valid way to go about slug control.

I have also read that some nematodes CAN be of benefit to the control of some garden pests; including slugs. Again every time I read Nematodes and hosta in the same sentence the tone is they are never good together.

Ready for input and thoughts. The goal here is to lean towards organic gardening.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

Comments (32)