SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

How much compost/soil can be safely added around Pin Oak

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

The new garden bed I am currently creating is approximately 25'x12' and the original soil line had a slight slope (maybe a 2' or less drop across the 12' width and maybe just a few inches drop along the length).

I used some nice rocks to outline part of this bed and to create a little bit of terracing to allow me to amend the soil somewhat without digging into the root system of the tree. I tried to leave the original 9' diameter mulched circle surface alone, again so that the tree roots would be OK.

The question is this... I made a 4' round by 8" deep raised circular spot to highlight a hosta and a 8' long by 3 or 4" deep planting area just outside the mulched circle around the tree. The tree is about 15 years old and I'm sure the root system goes far beyond my planting area.

Do you think that the small percentage of root area being covered with dirt/compost etc. is OK or do I need to reduce the depth of my amended soil that I have added? The rest of the planting area will be used for Heuchera, and some ground cover and will be planted at the original soil height.

Thanks in advance!

BettyLu

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio