SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
altanewbie

Help 4 the new guy

AltaNewbie
18 years ago

After 40 years of Apartment/Condo living, I now have a house with a yard I can call my own. Unfortunately (since we purchased under snowcover) we couldn't tell the condition of the yard at the time.

As a newbie to the whole gardening/yardwork thing, I am not familiar with the latin names of many plant species, so do "dumb it down" a bit for me if you could. I am leaning greatly toward perennials as flowering plants, and a mixture of trees (staying clear of needled trees and the prickly Junipers. Also, drought tolerant plants are appreciated as Calgary is somewhat lacking in water resources at times.

Any suggestions for the following would be muchly appreciated.....

Grass (lawn) is anything but green. The sod was apparently laid last year and watered only twice (cut once). This year it is very patchy - in some areas just dirt, other areas are "somewhat" green. and other areas (by fences) are just plain brown. Is there hope in getting it back, or should we just have the whole thing re-sodded?

I am also looking for an appropriate tree as a feature in the front yard (faces northwest - gets sun most of the day after 10 am or so) Ideally, I would like one that doesn't get much more than 10 - 15 feet with a spread of not more than that (smallish front yard). I am not keen on any type of needled evergreen (fir, pine, etc.) but would like one that stays somewhat close to the ground in terms of branching (2 or 3 feet about groundlevel). As it will be in a "bed" of sorts, some suggestions for low-level leafy groundcover would also be appreciated (the "bed" is kinda kidney shaped)

We have a starter hedge of cotoneasters ("L shaped") along the front walkway, and am also open to some suggestions for ornamentals that will remain small (about 1 foot high) as accents in front of the hedges (will receive about 3-4 hours of sun). Preferably something that will contrast nicely against the contoneastor background (when fully grown). If there is something similar to a hosta that perhaps comes in colours other than the greens, that would do nicely I believe.

I have also run across a tree in my boss's yard that I would like. Unfortunately, he has no idea what kind it is. Perhaps from the description, someone out there may have some ideas. It is a dark wood bark, but a somewhat shiny finish (much like a birch). The distinguishing feature is that it grows very twisted and knarly..... it reminds me of those wonderful pieces of driftwood you often see as landscape accents, or in artistic photographs. As far as leaving goes, they are pretty standard leaves (about 2" across or so and 2-3 long). It branches from the ground and each brach is knotted and twisted. Each of the main braches is around 6" - 7" thick.... any ideas?

This year's endeavor is to get the front yard completed (and the whole lawn part fixed)..... next year it's the back yard I'll need help on.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022