SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Cheap system to warm eggplants and peppers

plantslayer
16 years ago

Hello there,

I am in Seattle. I transplanted some long hot peppers (not quite like Chiles, but longer than bell peppers) and some japanese eggplants into my garden about two weeks ago. The plants (which I started from seed at home) seemed to be doing OK before the transplant, but they are not really growing now and seem to be struggling for survival. The most likely culprit would be the cold nights which have been lowering the soil temperature.

This is the first time I've grown vegetables around here. If I could do it over, I would either put plastic mulch down a couple of week before transplant, or use large pots (which allow the soil to heat up). But the plants are already in the ground, and I dont think I should re-pot them. Can anyone suggest a way to heat the soil around them up? Right now, I'm considering Walls'O Water, but they aren't especially cheap around here (because they are popular, they never go on sale), and I don't want to have to make cages, etc., if it is not necessary. I've heard of people using tire inner tubes filled with water, black tiles, etc. etc. Can anyone offer a cheap an easy way to help out these plants that are already in the ground? If the tire tubes work, where can I find inexpensive used ones? Is there anything else that might do the trick? Maybe the WoWs are the best choice?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)