SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1980_gw

Seeking Willamette History

steve1980
15 years ago

There was a very famous family owned seed company in Oregon that had its own vegetable breeding program, credited with introducing many famous varieties: perhaps evn the Sweetmeat squash. When it closed, its germplasm stocks were surrendered to the USDA, which has stored its accessions, especially its beet cultivars under a specific code but not at Washington state nad not searchable under GRIN.

I did have the database for it but have accidentally lost it as well as the company name and history. I would be grateful if someone like Prof. James Baggett or any historians of the seed companies could clue me in to the name of this once very famous firm. Prof Baggett is retired from OSU, and few there seem to be cognizant any longer of the vegetable breeding lore of the area.

More importantly, I am searching for the beet varieties developed by them and would be very grateful for any leads. I contacted the national Agricultural Library and so far, no real results. As far as I can recall, all the seeds of this firm are stored as special accession numbers in a Midwest repository, Wisconsin or Iowa, not Fort Collins.

Thanks for any leads.

Steve.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals