SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

growing berries and kiwi in Oklahoma

Shelley Smith
12 years ago

I am trying to decide what my best options are for growing fruit in my small suburban backyard (and possibly front yard too). From what I have read here and elsewhere, it sounds like fruit trees and grapes may not be the best options for me. How about blackberries and strawberries? Do you have any recommendations for me as to which varieties are best for my area (zone 7a, north OKC/Edmond area)? I had read that Triple Crown blackberry can produce up to 30 lb. of berries per plant - does that sound feasible for our area? What I would like to do is plant them along the inside of my back fence on either side of the house and trellis them up cattle panels attached to the inside of the fence. I could make small semi-circular beds along the fence say every 6 feet and plant a blackberry plant in each one, then let them spread out along the fence. Has anyone else tried this? How far from the fence would these plants stick out? I want to make sure I have room to get past them :)

I was thinking about edging the beds in front of my house with strawberries, but I am concerned that this will make them too hard to cover with netting to keep the birds off. Or do I need to worry about that?

Finally, I've been reading about hardy kiwi, and wondering if anyone in my area has tried growing these vines? The Arctic Beauty variety sounds as if it would be a little smaller and more manageable than some of the others, not to mention pretty, but I don't want something that is going to engulf the back yard either! I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried growing these. I know there is a kiwi farm out east of me near Eufaula that I would like to visit some day. Has anyone been there?

I was going to plant a crape myrtle in the front of the house with my knockout roses and herbs, etc. But if there are any shrubs/small trees that would provide fruit as well, I would love to hear recommendations. Some things I've thought of are service berry, chokeberry and some type of sand plum, but I don't have any experience with any of them.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts/experiences on this. I have not done much with the landscaping so far, so my yard is pretty much a blank slate.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting