SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Bought new plants, identified another (?)

User
12 years ago

I'm a happy camper tonight.

First off, Robert Seawright over in Carlisle MA allowed me to pick up some daylily and hosta plants, even though he had closed up shop to the public for the most part. For this season, anyway. The Seawrights are really nice folks, and we enjoyed chatting about plants, books, and the deep south. My DH went with me since he is familiar with the area.

Well, I saw some of the plants mentioned around the forum, and the mature sizes are really AWESOME. Unlike most of you, I'd never really seen mature monsterous hostas before. So, considering I have a couple of biggies already, I controlled the impulse to get more. But....well, some things are really hard to resist, as you can tell from this list. Here is what followed me to the SUV and jumped in:

1 'Royal Standard'

1 'Fragrant Blue'

1 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope'

1 'Fragrant Dream'

2 Plantaginea 1 gal w/seeds

1 'Patriot' 2gal

1 'Dream Queen' 2 gal

+7 nice hemerocallis

Then I used my new HOSTAPEDIA and the latest photos taken of this corrugated green leaf w/gold/cream margin 2nd year plant from PDN, which has been a mystery plant. I wish to apologize to all who tried to help me assign names to my little collection up here in zone 5bMA, because I totally forgot that I also purchased from PDN a H.'Fragrant Queen.'

I thought I got only one, shipped to zone 8B AL, but no, there was another one. Even this late in the season, this FQ has changed a lot, and gave me 3 scapes w/seeds. Anyway, this plant is so much bigger than the little one I have in Alabama, it looks nothing like that one. In a way, it looks like a reverse of 'Brother Stefan' which I dearly love. Both plants should be magnificent when they grow up.

Do you think I'm right about 'Fragrant Queen'?

Comments (12)