SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

El Nino Update

elkwc
14 years ago

I'm going to post the latest response I got from Dan. With the current storm and more possible in the future I thought this would continue to be of interest to others. I ask him about the current storm. Jay

What is your take on the track and snow amounts on the storm tomorrow? Every forecaster is different. I've seen or heard everything from 1-3 inches for us to 9-13 inches. One forecaster said the two main computer models are almost 200 miles off on the predicted track. Jay

Sorry, we were doing kid stuff yesterday afternoon & I was off-line. I was surprised to hear the 1-3" forecasts yesterday, as the low hit the coast way down over SoCal and no evidence of a northerly track, and you see it today over SoNM and making TX unhappy. The old guys who taught me were always skeptical of model runs and relied on patterns and their memories - our forecast meetings always had a question for the experienced forecasters: 'what was your first guess' and much more often than not the first 'guess' was the one that verified.

That said, the next bad boy out there off the coast has somewhat less energy as the one last week, not quite as deep or moist but could have winds that rival last weeks' if it doesn't fill while over water. Folks with animals need to start watching the forecasts closely as they'll start to be vulnerable if these next ~two weeks' worth of storms start to swing up north of Albuquerque and take the spring storm tracks, which should come earlier this year. The Aleutian low looks like it wants to set up too far offshore, and that means the surface lows that come ashore come south and swing up thru NM. So far they've been way south, but as time goes on they move N.

If you are running short of hay and were going to go in a couple weeks, you may want to think about going sooner rather than later if you have room. That's how it looks like it is shaping up today.

Dan

Comment (1)