SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blheron

Blue Geraniums and Hardy Cyclamen

blheron
12 years ago

Hoping someone can answer a couple questions about the above flowers.

I have never seen blue geraniums until this year, and then only in catalogs. Do they grow well in our area? They seem to be perennials, is their growth habit similar to a standard zonal geranium? Any recommendations for a specific variety that grow easily? Where to purchase them?

Also, I have some hardy cyclamen and I LOVE them. They are fun all year, from the flowers to the leaves, to the seed pods which are *so* funny. Mine are a pink color and spread easily. They seem to grow in almost any light condition except maybe full sun.

I would like to find more in different colors. Again, I've only seen them in catalogs--and not too many. Can anyone tell me what might be available, best place to get them, and if they would be as hardy as what I have? Mine were given to me from a yard that had literally filled in under trees in poor soil. They might be an original variety before being hybridized for other colors? I know they have been there for many years.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. I'm always looking for blue flowers and repeat bloomers that bloom all season. I have two homes, one on Hood Canal that gets some pretty high winds. I don't have a lot of full sun in either location.

Happy Spring! (at least this week, LOL!)

Linda

Comments (17)