SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinarb_gw

to plant lavender in fall, when to start seeds?

tinarb
17 years ago

(This is cross-posted in herbs, btw.)

We are in the midst of clearing our the last bit of detritus from our yard, which was overrun with blackberries until only recently. I suppose you could say we are "restoring" it but there isn't much left to restore! This spring we are digging paths, mulching, adding compost, and doing some minor planting.

However, in the fall we'd like to plant several perennials, esp. lavender. It does very well here, yes? (Willamette Valley, oregon - n of Eugene). Our hope is to plant lavender along our paths on the south side of the yard.

I am familiar with seed-starting, and bought two varieties that are meant to do well in our area - munstead and English tall. We'd probably plant more of the munstead along the pathways, as it's more compact.

My question is - should I start seeds now, and grow them as big as I can in 1 to 3 gallon pots, and plant them in fall? Or start the seeds later this year, to plant in fall? (From what I understand fall is the best time to plant here, to establish good root growth, and it's just the best time for us personally).

Thank you!

Comments (3)