SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptilda

Zone 3/4 shrubs for color & shade

ptilda
14 years ago

Ken insisted that I post this here, so... :)

Here's what I'm looking for:

*Year-round color (fall, winter (evergreen), spring & summer).

*Must be at least tolerant of partial shade.

*Shrubs to go under oaks and as backdrops for hostas & other plants.

I love fragrant plants, and I love fall color, but keep in mind that I'm in the great white north.

Comments (27)

• countrygarden01
    14 years ago

Yew-Tauton, Hydrangea-Annabelle, Viburnum-Mohican

• User
    14 years ago

Red Stem Dogwood -- cornus stolonifera

• Related Discussions

Flowering Shrub Suggestion (1/4 AM Sun...3/4 Shade)

Q

Comments (7)
    I have an old lilac, three rose-of-sharons, and a weigela which get morning sun only; they are located on the east side of the house, which is two stories. [The lilac is actually planted less than 2' from the northeast corner of the house.] They do fine, flower enthusiastically, and aren't leggy -- though admittedly I've never been responsible for any of those shrubs in other locations. I also have a couple of 4-5' tall camellias which were planted by the previous owner about six years ago. One is a japonica and the other is either a sasanqua or a hybrid of some sort. Until last August, they had only two or three hours of sun in the middle of the day, being shaded in the morning by the single-story part of the house and from early afternoon by two silver maples (the largest of which was cut down then). The camellias were happy with that amount of direct sun; it remains to be seen how they will react to nearly full afternoon sun in the height of summer. [You're only one zone colder than I am, and IIRC some camellias are okay in 6b, though it would probably be better if they had some shelter from winter winds. My japonica is spring-flowering, and a late freeze can damage its new leaves; the sasanqua is fall-flowering and has never had spring leaf damage.]
    ...See More

Low-growing xeric shrub for zone 3/4

Q

Comments (1)
    Juniperus communis.
    ...See More

Need ideas for 3 ft. wide shrub in zone 4

Q

Comments (3)
    If it doesn't have to be a bush, check out the different kinds of Amsonias. I like the narrow leaf varieties. They bloom bunches of little blue star shaped flowers in the spring, then have seed pods that hang on them. I shear mine back after blooming, though, to keep them from getting too big. They bush back out and look nice, with nicely colored foliage in the fall. They die to the ground in winter. Also, a couple day lilies would work there, along with a tall growing iris. Fireworks goldenrod is a fall blooming plant I love that would fit in that space. I'm not sure what zone it is. Sue D.
    ...See More

Zone 6, 3' shrub growing in full shade?

Q

Comments (1)
    It may be Itea virginica, Sweetspire. http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/itvi.html
    ...See More
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

fallopia ... IF ZONE APPROPRIATE .... hey.. to z4.. dies to the ground .... NOT a problem in my garden .... though in higher zones.. it might be a problem...

also.. ligularia...

and something with big green leaves that starts with a B.. that is escaping me right now.. bulgaria??? bulmonaria.. bulimia ... berg?????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i could probably send you some

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

Bergenia?

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That helps! Thanks.

Also, I'm wondering if any of you have had much experience with the hardy Azaleas and rhododendrons.

And I'm also thinking of acquiring some sumac (I know, I know) for the edges of the garden, in more sun. I like the Tiger Eye and the staghorn for the color. My plan is to put them into big yard-size garbage cans, with the bottoms cut out, to keep them from suckering all over the yard. I think they might be a good alternative to the color of Japanese maples.

• User
    14 years ago

She specified winter interest/ evergreen. Ligularia is spectacular in summer but it dies back to the ground in winter.

If presence in winter is not as important, then I would add Rodgersia pinnata, Aruncus dioicus (goatsbeard), and Cimicifuga racemosa "Black Beauty" to the list.

All of the above require moist conditions, BTW.

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ligularia & Rodgersia Pinnata are showing as zone 5.

I'm not limiting to evergreen, but would like to have SOME evergreen presence, or interesting bark or growth remaining through winter.

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

Some boxwood are tagged for partial shade. I've got a few specifically for partial shade-sun & they've done well and grown the year they've been in the ground. Research for your zone.

• von1
    14 years ago

I grow ligularia and rogers flower here in zone four(upstate NY).
    I also have both the big and small leaf rhododendron. You have to watch the winds with the rhodys. The winter wind dries them out, so I usually put something around them to protect them from the wind somewhat.
    I have had a white dogwood for about 3 yrs. No blooms yet, but it is still living...I'm still hoping for the best.
    Pee Gee Hydrangea is another that I have and spice bush.

• north53 Z2b MB
    14 years ago

I have several different ligularia growing in my garden. They are very hardy. I am in northern Manitoba.

• User
    14 years ago

Suggestions from the Wisconsin DNR with cultural information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin DNR native shrubs

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

I think Rhododendrons would look great, In fact, next year I am planning on getting a few to use as backdrops in a certain area of my yard.

• idiothe
    14 years ago

not to bad mouth a plant, manyhosta... but we planted a bunch of the red-twig dogwoods only to find that they are prone to a white fungus (powdery mildew) and also to brown and black spot, so unless they will be in excellent drainage and lots of air flow, with pruning to keep them open, they often die.

and I'm confuses... wasn't the question about shrubs. I mean, yes ligularia is cool, particularly the species przewalski (pronounced che-VALL-skee) and I love brunneras and Rogersia is excellent and very hardy in Minnesota... and I'll second the vote for one of the red-stemmed cimicifugas (snakeroots) like Hillside Black Beauty or Brunette or James Compton... and I'll throw in Kirengeshoma (Korean waxbells) as well...

but none of them are shrubs!

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

I also can grow Ligularia here in zone 3, but again, they die back in winter. Rodgerisia I have not been able to keep. The bergenia that was mentioned is one of my very favorites. But - how big do you want? Bergenia is a rather small plant with tall flower stems in spring. Beautiful and the very first to color up in spring, but maybe not big enough for you?

Anabelle hydrangea also dies to the ground in winter here. Red twig dogwoods are good and so are yews. Rhododendrons don't work here because the soil is not acidic enough - not sure wher eyou are so I don't know if that's a problem.

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

ptilda, if your partial shade is really filtered shade (under oaks), so shrubs will not be in much direct sunlight, I would be careful on expectations of leaf colors and blooming. Azaleas, Viburnums, Elderberry, Dogwood, Ninebarks have all needed more sun to perform well for me -- Hydrangeas 'Annabelle'(filtered shade) and 'Pink Diamond'(bright shade)and also Tauton Yew(shade) have done well.

Sumac will want sun.

Paul

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The soil is acidic and it's mostly under a canopy of mature oaks, but like i said, I have some area on the edges where I can plant some for sun.

• User
    14 years ago

idiothe, Not shrubs. Exactly. That's the point I was trying -- and obviously failed -- to make.

With the dogwoods, good air circulation is really important. The new U of M introduction, Garden Glow dogwood, is supposed to be very cold hardy and resistant to mildew. Golden Shadow (developed in the Chicago area) is another very attractive new dogwood, reported to be very slow-growing in the north, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Glow dogwood

• idiothe
    14 years ago

thanks for that info... we may have a use for Garden Glow! It was so disheartening to see the whole hedge of Isanti Dogwood die off in two years...

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

If you decide to plant Azaleas make sure that they have the word Lights in the name. They were hybridized in Minnesota and are known to survive -40 in the winter. I just picked up Azalea 'Mandarin Lights' this summer, but there are many in the Northern Lights series.
    Here are a few others I know of:
    Lilac Lights
    Lemon Lights
    Northern Hi-Lights
    Orchid Lights
    Rosy Lights
    White Lights
    Northern Tri-lights

Jen

• hostarhodo
    14 years ago

If your soil is acidic you should be able to grow Azaleas and Rhodos, they will do great in partial shade. Just remember they do not give year round color, but the show that they put on for a few weeks are worth having them.
    The trick would be to plant a number of them with different flowering times then you would have a couple of months of color. The PGM's are very hardy and are the first to bloom. I also have many of the Lightes series azaleas.

Before you buy any check to see what the lowest temperatures are that they will tolerate. You will find many available. This time of year, if there are any in your area, would be a great time to get deals on them.

I have more than 100 rhodos and azaleas and the colors with the hostas are fantastic. I have a red one next to Hosta Patriot and I just stand and stare at them. Maybe you could try clematis, in some sun, with different flowerings times as well. Also my magnolias and dogwoods are beautiful.

To find out more about rhodos and azaleas check out Capt Dick Steel, Bayport, N.S. on the internet. His is a very interesting story and in person a very informative man to talk to. He could convince anyone to try rhodos and magnolias. He is now approx 95 years old.

Remember I live in Nova Scotia, very cold and sometimes snowy winters.

By the way I have sumacs as well, sumacs everywhere. Want some. I planted two, wish I hadn't, spreading like crazy.

Betty

• User
    14 years ago

Margo, Where did you find Mandarin Lights? I thought it was out of cultivation! I need to replace two in a flower bed that I am doing over. The Northern Lights Azelea are gorgeous in Spring in bloom but honestly, I don't think they have much to recommend them as a backdrop plant in the summer nor much winter interest.

Ninebark is another alternative she might want to consider. I have Diablo on the north side in partial shade and it has been a great grower for me. Dart's Gold and Center Glow are brighter cultivars. All are rated hardy to zone 2b.

This is my Diablo blooming in early June, with pee gee hydrangea as background and hosta in foreground.

Here, in September, it shows its deep summer color.

It is looking rather sloppy in these pictures but it is easy to clip back and shape.

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I picked up Mandarin Lights at a local nursery. They had almost all in the lights series, and would think since she is a small nursery just bought them wholesale. You are right about them only being impressive in the spring, and then they just look like a plain green shrub. Ninebark is a very nice shrub for color, much better than the Sambucus (Elderberry) someone talked me into, which have no form and just flop all over the place.
    Jen

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'm working on some new areas, so this will take some thought to get just what I'm looking for.

• Mary4b
    14 years ago

My issue with the diablo ninebarks and annabelle hydrangeas is that they are late to leaf out...they leaf out after the hostas have already come up and are starting to look exciting. If they were early, they'd be my first choice, as I am also searching for a shrub backdrop for a new hosta bed.

One shrub that I love with my hostas is Elderberry Sutherland Gold. I have not cobbled mine back every year like many recommend and mine has grown into a lovely tree that is decidedly Japanese Maple looking. It is much less lanky looking than the species. I receive many compliments on it. It also looks very exotic and beautiful when it is leafing out, which is timed nicely with the leafing out of the hostas. Very hardy.

I am considering for my backdrop: a tall, glossy green cotoneaster hedge. I think its dark, dark green would be a nice backdrop if I combined it on one end with a Sutherland Gold elderberry and then perhaps planted a few wichita blue or moon glow jupiters for some blue color. Those are my current ideas, but I would love some more, as well.

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone had experience with Harry Lauder's Walking Stick? I'm finding that to be a VERY interesting option! Our winters are long, and it's nice to have something interesting in the garden for those 6 months! :)

• sidney1515
    14 years ago

ptilda, Yes, I have had a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick for around fifteen years. Dumb me. . I don't have hostas around it. . I never thought about it. . duh. . .It adds a wonderful winter feeling. It has been very cold hardy. We have some doozey of snowfall and below zero weather during that time. One thing I don't like about it is that it's graft tree wants to grow out of it and I have to keep it cut off.. . Think maybe I will do something with it this fall with hosta. .

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I have a walking stick also. I find it more beautiful in winter than when it has leaves. Mine is nothing but a nub this year because the rabbits found it this winter and ate it down to nothing. So you might have to fence it, which kinda takes away from the winter appeal.
    Jen

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!