SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

Flowering shrub ideas?

ellen_portland
16 years ago

I just picked a sprig of wonderfully fragrant Daphne from my work's front entrance. I've heard these shrubs are problem prone?

I have a fairly vacant backyard (3-4sq ft, in a large pie shape, the small end at the backyard entrance)that I am trying to build up to an English Country Garden, but I also have a 13 month old Golden Retriever who is still in grab, dash and dine mode so I have everything behind chicken wire for the time being.

What I've started to do is pick plants/shrubs that I've always loved and plant them along the fence line and I am going to move in as I go, eventually creating interesting plant beds of perenials, path/arbor et all. I do need to keep in mind whether these plants are poisonous for dogs, which is hard as there goes many of my English Garden type plants.

Does anyone have recomendations for flowering shrubs that I can use as my starting foundations? My best bets would be something flowering and fragrant, but I also want to play with leaf color and shape etc. I have a few things planted already, but don't have my garden notebook here at work, so all the names have escaped me for the moment!!

Most of the yard is sunny, more afternoon sun than anything else.

Thanks so much for listening!!

Comments (6)