SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roadtrip_gw

Neighbor: dealing with weeds and overgrowth

roadtrip
18 years ago

I have a neighbor that had a tendency of neglecting the area of land between our houses (15' x 25'), but he's always been really nice and taken care of what ever I have asked of him. He even took my advice and had a dead tree taken down when I pointed out the danger it posed to both of our houses. While it's never been a problem getting the weeds cut back when they get high, it seems I have to nudge to get the unsightly side yard tended to.

I have tried to create a nice sitting area on my front patio, which is surrounded with nice plantings and a few trees I planted this year. His side yard joins right up next to a few of the planting beds as well as the side access to the back yard. At times it's a battle keeping the poison ivy and weeds from growing over into my beds.

I've wanted to offer to landscape this area, but I'm just not sure how to approach him. If I offer to do some planting in the area, how do I "separate" his area from my own. I don't intend to plant all the way up to his house and whatever I plant there will have to vie for nutrients with the weeds he refuses to keep in check. Is there anything I can suggest or do? I had some field stone laying around from another project and have begun using that to try to boarder the area (aka.. DMZ), but alas I ran out!

When he had the tree cut down, he also had the stump ground down, leaving loads of wood shavings. He has mentioned spreading those around the area, but three months has passed and that never happened. The entire area could be mulched heavily, just not sure that would solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for reading this far and any advice you all can provide!

Shannon

Comments (7)

Sponsored