SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Hazelnut (corylus) and cross-pollination

glen3a
20 years ago

I was looking at T&T seeds catalogue at a hazelnut. They mention it produces loads of nuts and that the tree's parent was out of Skinner's Nursery in Dropmore, Manitoba so is very hardy. It didn't mention anything about cross-pollination so I did some research. Not many websites on them, but I did discover that most hazelnuts need another variety for cross-pollination, with the possible exception of one called "Winkler" which is reported self-fruitful.

I emailed T&T to find out the correct botanical name, whether it was Corylus and if so, what cultivar. They replied, according to their supplier, the tree in question is corylus species and they are seedlings of Skinner (hazelnut) x Graham and Winkler (filbert).

Has anyone had experience in growing this and if so, is it self-pollinating? I am hoping that because it is part "Winkler" it might be, but don't want to wait to find out. Only have room for one shrub. Besides, from what I heard it's a pretty basic looking shrub, so if it doesn't produce nuts (due to no pollinator), I will choose another tree for that spot, something a bit nicer looking.

Or, maybe someone has experience growing the ones called Skinners, Graham, or Winkler?

Thanks for any and all comments,

Glen

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Franklin County, Ohio