SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

neighboring trees dead and dangerous - who's responsible for what

WendyB 5A/MA
14 years ago

There are 3 huge dead pine trees on the other side of my property line, that undoubtedly will fall someday. (I wonder how long that takes?) They are spewing twigs and small branches galore. (cleaning up after yesterdays wind storm reinvigorated my frustration)

Does anyone know the deal with who's responsible for what in this type of situation? Any stories to share.

Obviously, I can't cut them down (nor do I want to) on someone else's property, but do I have any rights to force the owners to cut them down or prevent damage to my property (and power lines which are in direct line of sight!). Just writing that, it sounds bizarre and I'm sure the answer is NO.

Oh, and it's town-owned property. The town has sent someone (the wrong dept) to look 2 years ago when I first noticed the problems, but nothing came of it. And no response to my inquiries.

My first concern was the cause of death and the surrounding healthy pine trees, but so far so good. Now I'm concerned with future serious damage and current annoying debris.

Comments (13)