SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Any disappointments this year?

alison
18 years ago

I have to say, I've had several disappointments this summer. I know last year was freakish cool and damp, but I was really hoping for a lush garden again. Here's some of the ones I doubt I'll be doing again.

Immortelle. I admit, I got seduced by the picture. It's not bad; a tidy little grey-green plant. But the flowers, pink and white everlastings, are really small. And ... just not enough oomph to make it worth the space.

Penny Black nemophilia. Cute little almost black flowers rimmed with white. But again, the flowers were really small, and didn't seem to last very long. In a pinch I could say the low-growing foliage was interesting but... won't be growing this one again.

Agapanthus. Last summer my mother bought be a beautiful steel blue agapanthus, and I loved the tropical feel of it, even if the flowers didn't last terrihbly long. I carried over the plant inside this winter, and come spring when I saw the bare root plants on sale I bought about 10. Last years plant looked pretty sad when I brought it out, but it's plumped up nicely, and looks healthy. Still, it's almost August and there's no sign of a stalk. And the ones I bought this spring -- are only about 6" tall and I don't think they've grown a millimeter since May!

Delphinium. I love these so much, and I've had such beautiful ones I bought at the nursery, but they don't last year to year, and I simply can't grow these from seed. The ones I winter-sowed 2 years ago are only 6-8" tall! I'm going to have to stick to larkspur and chinese delphs.

Winter-hardy glads. I may have to wait on these and see. They were pretty enough, but they flowered for less than a week. It was during our 90+ temps, so maybe that did them in prematurely. I'm not ripping them out, but if they prove to not actually be winter-hardy and don't come up in the spring, I won't be too broken up about it.

Dwarf forget-me-nots. I started Victoria pink and blue, and I swear they've grown no bigger than they were when I potted them up for the swap back in May. If anyone here got them at the swap -- I hope they did much better for you!

There are so many things that have done well in the garden it seems ungrateful to focus on these, but I just wanted to share.

Anyone have plants that just didn't live up to your expectations this year?

Comments (12)

Sponsored