SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mantid

sheetmulching for blackberry control in greenhouse

mantid
16 years ago

Hello-

I am moving to our small farm near Yachats, OR this April. The place has been rented for some years and the hoophouse has been badly neglected and is now about 1/3 covered with blackberries.

We would obviously like to begin gardening as soon as possible, making the most of this season, but I am feeling that the greenhouse needs a complete "reboot" via sheet mulching. This raises several questions though, and I welcome any advice.

1) The greenhouse is close to 600 square feet. According to my calculations, this will involve dumptruck-sized loads of compost and straw. Where can one obtain these huge quantities, and what are the expected costs? I believe the cardboard for the sheeting and -some- of the woodchips can be accumulated onsite, but how else does one acquire such vast quantities so quickly? I would have to compost for years to develop this.

2) How can I best use the greenhouse while letting this process occur over the winter? Keep a section of it "plain" for planting, or keep plants in pots distributed throughout, on top of the sheets? Or just totally forget the greenhouse this year, and wait for next spring?

3) Is it safe to put blackberry vines through a chipper shredder? I am more concerned about mulch full of tiny thorns than I am damage to the machine. Would this be fine for the bottom layers of sheetmulching? Will the thorns ever break down in compost? Is it better to have a pile of "bad" compost for fringe landscaping, or better to just burn the vines? I have so, so, much blackberry that the disposal will be a huge issue and I would love to compost it.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Comments (5)