SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arickrock

Fertile or Sterile?

arickrock
9 years ago

Hello again all!

This is my first year as a hostaholic and Ive started to get my feet wet in the pollinating/hybridizing arena!

Ive been successful so far with several plants and have some very nice seed pods growing. After researching here, the myhosta website and having been so lucky to be able to pick Bob Solbergs brain a little in person I am wanting to come up with a clear list of who the best/worst breeders are.

For Example - Krossa Regal I know for sure is all but sterile...

Bob told me Rain-forest Sunrise and Mango Salsa are great breeders.....also that Guacamole isnt but I already have several seed pods set on mine!!!

Does the myhosta database list this info somewhere that I am just missing? Or is there a good resource for this?

So far I am just taking pollen from whoever has the best looking stuff in the mornings and slapping it on any open stigma I can find. Not tracking or keeping records of anything this year really. Will just try and keep track of the pod parent whenever I decide to try and grow them......still agonizing over whether to try an indoor set up this winter.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH