SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

winter carnage

I had several plants newly planted last fall, several that I had never gotten into the ground, plus several that I ordered (very late!)from a clearance sale that arrived in early December. I knew that I was taking a chance with the late order, but the ground usually doesn't freeze here until January.

The plants that I already had, I buried in the leaf pile; the late arrivals, I potted up but deep cold had arrived early and suddenly & the ground and leaf pile had already frozen so I put them in the unheated garage.

When I checked the garage plants (in early March?) they were starting to emerge & I breathed a sigh of relief. I tossed a little water on them--Unfortunately it froze again and

it seems that did it for the 2 daylilies--they are kaput, rotted. I am surprised, for when I TRY to kill the orange daylilies (I hate orange!), it seems they will survive anything short of atomics. I think the fig is still alive, because the stem is green, but it is not showing any signs of new growth. Some other plants are doing fine though.

I also lost turk's cap lilies & phlox, and from the pots buried in the leaf pile, another daylily and a few pots whose markings disappeared over the winter--and I don't remember what was in them!

My two viburnums (planted in the fall) didn't survive. There are other plants place in a new bed in autumn that also suffered, I fear, from the early freeze--I will have to wait to see if any emerge. My roses have all survived I think, but most were dead down to just about ground level, despite the mulch, except for the 2 that were here when I moved in 16 years ago--those are huge and I never do a thing to them!

It looks like an Itea bit the dust out in the garden, also.

The blueberries were clearly munched on, but they are leafing out.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals