SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

What are the top streaked hostas?

9 years ago

Just realized I don't have a single streaked hosta, like the one in the pic. Can't end the first hosta buying year without one. What are your favorite streaked hostas?

Comments (41)

• 9 years ago

ones that sets seed ...

so if that is your goal ... then the question should be:

What are the top FERTILE streaked hostas?

ken

PS: to actually answer your question.. all of them.. crikey.. thats like asking which i my favorite child ... its a trick question.. right... lol ...

• 9 years ago

While a streaked hosta is important to have make sure you also have rugose, all blue, yellow edged, yellow centred, white edged, white centred, pie crust, smooth, miniature, giant, weird, distinctive and plain. I am feeling a little lost without one of each.

I can't say I have a favourite as I only had 25 hostas and only had a few streaked, 'Emerald Isle' was the fav of the bunch.

I don't worry about them being fertile, yet. Last time I ran into something fertile.....well that isn't for this forum :)

SCG

• Related Discussions

WANTED: streaked hosta seeds

Q

Comments (4)
    I've got a mix that has Kabitan, Great Lights, Great Expectations, Northern Exposure, Time Tunnel, Queen Josephine, and a couple of others in it. It's not JUST those, but those are in it. I also have some purple ornamental millet. I'd be interested in your Calceolaria cheilanthoides and Primula japonica seeds, if you're interested in my stuff.
    ...See More

Hosta with a scape (?) with another hosta on top?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Adamink! Just saw your pics on another forum - can't remember which. It's gotten waaay beautifuler since I was there! Well I'm so bummed about this scape with the hosta on top. It's such a strange phenomenon - you'd think the dang thing would root! I wonder what causes it and why only a few do this. Westy
    ...See More

streaked Hosta budding-photo

Q

Comments (7)
    ademink, thank you for adding the photo in the body, I never remember which is the proper link to copy! Grrrr. I came home today, and all 3 of those flower stalks were munched down. Murphy's law, and serves me right for not putting a cage around it!
    ...See More

what would be your top five hostas in your garden?

Q

Comments (35)
    I have too many young-uns! So ask again next winter. -Guacamole -Serendipiry -Old Glory -August Moon -Sagae -I have a solid green NOID that I just think is wonderful. It was wrongly ID'd as Invincible at the nursery. It has similar qualities but no way is it near identical. It forms a beautifully dense mound almosst 6 feet across, has around 4 to 4 1/2 feet long arching scapes and is slug-proof. For a solid green with no puckering or wavy edges or such, it must be good to make this list. lol Les
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago

I like streaked hosta's and have many.

Gunthers Prize

• 9 years ago

Blizzard

• 9 years ago

Confused angel

Your pic looks like ice age trail.

• 9 years ago

Don Rawson's LISTS has one for Sterile Hostas. I'll give the link to his lists below.

One that is streaked and fragrant and sterile is Stargate. I'm not sure it is POLLEN sterile though. It might yet contribute to a pod parent pairing productively (love all those PPPP)....but not sure it would give me what I'm looking for as a pollen parent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Rawson's Hosta LISTS

• 9 years ago

Don't know anything about TOP streakers.
    But I have one to mention based on its first year here. It came from LOTG. It had very tall and very streaked leaves, took a while before it recovered from finding it was "not in Kansas" anymore. However, it is doing very well, and has a new flush of leaves now.

It is a fragrant. It is a streaker. It reblooms, so it is said. The details say it is known to be fertile. Heavy bloomer Vigorous. Loleta Powell of North Carolina introduced it. It is expensive, but so are most of the tried and good fertile streakers, even more expensive than this one.

Here is mine, taken June 25, 2014

And also from LOTG as a GIFT PLANT is Sally And Bob. It came with a flower scape, but did not set seedpods this year. I show this picture because the new leaf growth coming in shows it is also staying streaked.

I have no experience with streakers, but these two seem to be happy in my garden, so I mention them. When you start talking STREAKERS, if you are buying them, you must up the ante quite a bit.

• 9 years ago

Very nice moccasin. The pics a posted earlier are from LOTG also. As is the Dorothy Benedict . I'm showing here. What is the name of the first one you posted? I'll be including that and Sally&Bob in my spring LOTG order

• 9 years ago

Kiwi Ingenuity

• 9 years ago

Kiwi Highlights

• 9 years ago

Misty Gold

• 9 years ago

Wow very nice streaked hostas. Good call on the pic, it is indeed ice age trail. Wasn't so worried about fertile streakers. More easy to grow, fairly stable. Love confused angel and have thought about that being the addition. Are they more expensive because of the fertile part? Or just a bit more rare?

• 9 years ago

Is it expensive? I don't remember what I paid for it, maybe $50, but compared to some of the others that's cheap! For the money, Ice Age Trail is hard to beat. Confused Angel is a vigorous grower which is no surprised since it's out of Blue Angel.

• 9 years ago

Mocc's pic is of 'All Jazzed Up'. Nice streakers, guys.

Don B.

• 9 years ago

I picked up a Confused Angel this spring. It's finally planted. Before that I kept moving it around, trying not to sunburn it...it came with a $55 price tag and two leaves. This is how it looks now. Interesting colour depending upon amount of sunlight. It was Macs colour when I got it.

• 9 years ago

Will take a pic of my H."Brave Attempt" tomm. it has done wonderful this year

• 9 years ago

This is all I got. Streaked version of Regal Splendor. 6.50 American. I call her 'Sterile Meryl'.

Don B.

• 9 years ago

That looks good Don. Maybe you should call Meryl Streeped. You'd have an academy award winning hosta.

• 9 years ago

hey mac.. good to see someone else had misty gold ... gorgeous huge plant.. eh ...

but i dont think i ever have seen seed on it ...

did you get it from dishon direct ...??? .. i think i did thru hosta hillside auction

ken

• 9 years ago

Yes ken, it's a good grower. Now that you mention it I've not seen seeds on it I got mine from Tom Schmid in Jackson. Have you been there? Awesome selection of exotic conifers and Japanese maples along with many large hosta's in the fields. He's been getting out of hosta's for a few years now so he doesn't have the latest ones but the older ones he has are very nice. Besides Misty Gold I've gotten Popcorn, Warwicks Comet, Tom Schmid, Bobbie Sue and Jacqueline's Banner, just to name a few, from him.

Here's Popcorn

• 9 years ago

Thanks for catching All Jazzed Up for me, Don. I'm having computer problems intermittently, did not stay on long last few days. My focus is diverted from subject matter.

I'm paranoid about losing my photos again. This computer has troubles performing a backup it seems. And then one of my drives, it won't say which, has ERRORS in it. And, it simply turns itself off in the middle of something I'm working on. I'm thinking about a laptop this time. A cheap one.

• 9 years ago

Mac. love your popcorn. Don't know exactly why but I'm not a big fan of the streakers and don't have a single one. Running out of room so I guess it is a good thing to be narrowing done the field..

• 9 years ago

Speaking of Sally and Bob, this one has more than 200 pods right now. It's also about 65 inches across and has about 40 eyes. I only took one out this year for reverting to green.

It's a nice looking landscape plant and a great breeder.

• 9 years ago

You're not alone Barb as most people aren't fans of me streaking :) I'm a sucker for streaked hosta's but then I am for ALL hosta's. I'll need to make some tough decisions in the next couple of years as I'll need to eliminate 20-30 hosta's from my collection as my new little hosta's grow......and doesn't take into account any new ones I get. I'll be adding Silver Threads and Golden Needles for sure in the spring, so that will be another streaker.

• 9 years ago

How many beautiful plants, I would want them all!

I have Well Shaked, Kaleidochrome and Valley's Top, ...maybe my favorite is Valley's Top (new from last year), I like the narrow pointed leaves with a piecrust edge and the dark green of the streaks. Unfortunately this year I couldn't take pictures because of hail damage.

• 9 years ago

I agree luuk. The narrow leafed streakers are quite nice. My Kaleidochrome was attacked by cutworms this year but here's a nice narrow leafed hosta with subtle streaking. Hyuga urijaro

• 9 years ago

It has nice blooms also

• 9 years ago

Esox, thank you for sharing Sally And Bob's picture. It is a breathtaking hosta! I look forward to it emerging next spring.

• 9 years ago

I like this one...this week.

• 9 years ago

Beautiful Steve. A seedling of yours?

• 9 years ago

Yes, Mac. It's an Uberageous f2 seedling. Seeds from Trudy Van Wyk.

Steve

• 9 years ago

It's uber gorgeous and I uber want it!

• 9 years ago

Steve, I so much enjoy seeing your seedling! Love the colors....... Pollen spread by the ~Bees~

You do have a knack for growing some very nice seedlings :)

• 9 years ago

Steve, did you watercolor that leaf?? ; P

Seriously, that is one of the coolest hosta leaves I've seen. Nice work!

Don B.

• 9 years ago

This one still looking good today.. Outrageous.

• 9 years ago

Esox, tell me why your picture of Sally And Bob has all those strips of color all along the scape. It looks like a string of firecrackers.

Are you ID-ing seed pods? From open pollination or ..... how ...
    I'd be interested in a closeup of what you have there. Thank you for indulging my ignorance.

• 9 years ago

Every pic just gets better. So many great choices. Didn't mean about confused angel being expensive. Meant streaked hostas in general. Why are streaked hostas so much more expensive? Spent some time today reading about hybridizing, interesting stuff.

• 9 years ago

Mostly streaked Hostas are not registered. They exist in hybridizer's gardens to use in order to provide variegation in the offspring. Many (most?) of them do not tissue culture well. As a result they are propagated by division instead of TC. That limits the number available. The easiest and least expensive way to get some is to buy some seed from a streaked pod parent and grow your own.

Steve

• 9 years ago

Streaked Hostas are also expensive because they are unstable and need to be maintained. That is, each new eye will have a different amount of streaking, and they often produce reversions that are all solid colored or a normal variegated margin or such. The solid reversions in particular are stronger than the original and can overtake the plant if not cut off. Are some streakers more stable than others? The more variable random striping you see in a streaker the more likely it will produce eyes of the same. sometime you see a plant with just some streaking on one side of the plant. You will probably get good streaking on eyes that develop on that side of the plant and no streaking on the eyes on the other side. This will make more sense once you grow and see a few streakers.

• 9 years ago

Moccasin....you don't put firecrackers on your best hostas?

Actually that is how I mark my crosses, with colored twist ties and colored tape on the ties. I have five colors of twist ties and five colors of tape. That's enough to differentiate thousands of pollen donors. But I only use maybe 50 different donors.

I cut the twist ties in half to make them more manageable on the flower. They don't come off and I reuse them the next year. I have them all coded and mostly recognize the color combinations....oh yes, that's Sun Power, that's montana Aureomarginata, that's Paradigm.

• 9 years ago

Well well, Esox, I must be Tuesday's Child, "far to go."

I'll have to think about what you just told me.

So. You know what Pod Parent because you leave it on the plant. You identify the pollen parent.....by each flower that you dab with the pollen.

I did not pay close attention to Dick Ward's pods this year, and when I looked over the weekend, they'd busted open and were fallen somewhere. I placed the rest of them on the potting mix beneath the hosta. Open pollination, of course.

Your firecracker scape looks great.