SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oak_ridge

Interseeding Question

Oak_Ridge
18 years ago

I have an approximatly one acre area that I just started to restore. I am using the interseeding technique (seeding into existing vegetation). The area has a lot of smooth brome and canada goldenrod, along with a fair amount of remnant prairie species. My plan is to do late spring burns every year for the next 10 or so years to weaken the brome and help the native species outcompete it. I will be interseeding native prairie species into the area every year (mostly seed I collect myself). My question is on the timing for seeding. Would it be better to fall seed, or seed immediatly after the spring burns? I think I would get better seed-soil contact seeding into the ashs after a spring burn, but would not get the CM stratification of forbs that a fall seeding would. With a fall seeding I have the advantage of frost action getting seed-soil contact (assuming the seeds can get through the brome grass to the soil). If I seed in the fall would my burn the following spring nuke some of the seed? Also, does anybody have any experience winter seeding onto snow? I live in Wisconsin and probably won't see bare ground until next March.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus