SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

New lot has invasive plants

dottyinduncan
10 years ago

My daughter and husband have bought a sea-front lot that has many thugs growing on it. Ivy has trunks 8 inches in diameter, both side boundaries have huge, overgrown laurel hedges, blackberries, daphne, you name it, they've got it. They are going to remove what they can when the bulldozer comes but any suggestions, especially about the laurel and the ivy would be appreciated. They also have to have a landscaping plan to give to the planning department and I suggested hybrid mahonia along the seafront but now I worry that they may be introducing another thug that will grow too tall and impede their view. They are putting a retaining wall in with steps to the beach and I hope the biggest ivy stumps can be rooted out while this site is being prepared. They both work at pressure jobs and don't enjoy gardening so need everything to be easy-care. I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or?? to pass along to them. And since we live in Canada, there are a whole lot of restrictions on herbicides that we are allowed to use.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor