SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fionasol

Environmental Nuisance

fionasol
15 years ago

This post is about run-ins with a City Weed Ordinance office about a native prairie planting in Indianapolis. It's a little long-winded, but I wanted to give you most background.

I live near downtown Indianapolis in one of its "developing" neighborhoods. Read "developing" as some really nice old houses, intermixed with many more houses (and yards) in various states of disrepair. I've lived in the neighborhood for about 8 years now and have put in some serious time into the garden. When I bought the house the landscaping consisted of weedy lawn, 2 very overgrown cedars in too small of a space, 5 yuccas overcrowding the path to the backyard, and a supposed privet hedge that was 90 percent weedy maples & elms. Since then the 1 of the cedars is gone, along with the yuccas, the hedge, and a fair amount of the lawn. Now there's lots of flowering plants and shrubs around the house & all along one side of the property edge, a big veggie garden, sod couch (literal lawn furniture), pond, rain garden, fire pit, rain barrels, patio and a wonderful native prairie planting in the front yard. Before installing this planting, I did read the City code on landscaping, and I'm technically not violating anything. Unless the person inspecting doesn't know that asters and big blue stem are not really "tall grass & weeds".

For the past few years, the city's weed ordinance inspectors have tagged me as an "Environmental Nuisance" for having tall grass and weeds in the yard. Sigh. This year, I think I just barely got the mow ordered canceled--despite my letter, photos, species lists, and map & landscaping design defending my garden. The weed ordinance folks want me to get designated a a "native garden" but have no suggestions on how that can be done. Probably because no such designation exists for private landowners in Indianapolis, as far as I've been able to discover.

Sigh. This is crazy frustrating.

Any folks out there who've successfully dealt with something like this? Or just some general commiserating?

I'm probably going to cross-post this to the Midwest forum, in hopes that some other crazy Indy person has solved such a problem.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored