SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_zone6

Tortoise beetles - Grrrrr

sandra_zone6
12 years ago

I've gardened at my house for the past few years, started out slowly with just tomatoes and now we have a real vegie garden. It's small, wish it was larger, but it's sufficient. Do all my planting in raised beds that we built in it. Tomatoes grow in SWC on our deck. We are in CT - thought the deer, rabbit and groundhogs would be our challenge, but no, it's the tortoise beetle!

Three years ago. I noticed these dinosaur like bugs eating holes in my tomatoes, didn't bother my garden though. Picked them off every morning and afternoon and squashed them; don't seem to like the heat of day. They were controllable then.

Last year, they started in the garden, but weren't all that bad. This year they are crazy bad! They started in on my potatoes, and then went on to almost decimate my eggplants which I babied for so long. Theyve gone after my squash and green beans as well; oddly enough, they leave the lettuce and cukes alone.

When I look them up, the info is that they came in from China, through Canada and are making their way south. Supposed to enjoy sweet potato plants but are considered a nuisance, no control necessary. I tend to disagree since I don't have never ending space to let them go to town on my plants. And it is amazing the damage they can do so quickly.

Does anyone have any help on how I can discourage them? I'd like to keep things as environmentally friendly as possible, but then, I am losing plants so may consider something else. I've search, but as I wrote, I've read over and over how control isn't necessary. Boloney!!!!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus