SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drtdgr

Planting natives now

drtdgr
17 years ago

I have a vacant wooded lot in Grapeview that I plan to build on around 10 years from now. In the meantime, I can't help myself from "editing" a bit. I've spent hours getting rid of a patch of Himalayan blackberries, and removing downed trees and other woody debris.

Fortunately, there aren't too many other invasives except for the native blackberry, thistles, and foxglove.

The rubus ursinus is a real stinker to get rid of and I am thinking of using the potent vinegar spray (can't remember brand name of it).

Anyway, I have two questions - I bought natives from the Pierce Conservation District last year and have had them in the ground at my house since then. Would planting some rhododendron, ribes, salmonberry and twinberry in a part-shade, cleared glade be okay now? The soil is well-drained and humusy. I have access to my neighbor's water but watering would be minimal, maybe once a week in the summer.

Also, has anyone used the potent vinegar product to get rid of blackberries and thistles? The area I would be using it on doesn't have any trees or shrubs - just grass and weeds.

Thanks! Susan

Comments (2)