SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deadtogether

When to sow wildflower seeds in a wild setting?

Awed
10 years ago

Hi,

The past couple of years I have turned my city street median into a wildflower garden. I'm in zone 6, in upstate NY. I've ordered seeds from various places and sown them by scattering. I've gotten some interesting results. The reason for planting these (apart from them being pretty and living things) is to help declining bee populations. Also I thought it would be nice to attract butterflies. And now I'm thinking it's a great source of natural food for birds.

I'm wondering what the best method is for gathering the seeds (for example the brown-eyed Susan seed bundles) and scattering them. I would assume the best way to assure good planting is to harvest the bundles, keep them inside, then cut down the stalks and use for mulch. Then, next Spring, rake away leaves and then re-scatter the area with the seeds.

Is this true?

The only problem with this is that, if the birds do eat the seeds now, that would be taking away a food source for them. Is it possible to:

1. Cut down all the plants and leave them there? Maybe I can harvest them later?

2. Leave them standing through the Winter and gather them in the Spring? The problem with this is the standing weeds are not amazingly attractive.

Long one, but I think a pretty basic question. If it's involved feel free to ask me to search more about it.

Thanks.

This post was edited by awed on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:34

Comments (14)

Sponsored