SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themayocynic

Anyone build a greenhouse in Reno?

themayocynic
11 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone built a greenhouse in the Reno area? If so, I would love to hear what you used, how you might be heating it and if it can allow you to grow during winter or if it's simply a season extender. I would use it for vegetables.

I have tried the pvc hoop house option with very little success. The plastic cover never seems to stay where it should, especially if there are strong winds like in early spring. No amount of stakes and river rock seem to help.

My wish list is for it to be something I can stand in and isn't permanent in case I have to take it down. I don't want to pour a foundation but if someone got creative with cinder blocks, I would be very open to that. Kits are so expensive though once in awhile Harbor Freight has an incredible deal on their 6' x 8'.

I have access to buy used windows of various sizes and have kicked around that possibility as well. Before I do that though, I would like to know if it's worth it, or if I just buy a few to build cold frames for my raised beds.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor