SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butacska_gw

Anyone has success with bulbs? How do you do it?

butacska
17 years ago

Ok, so I just started thinking about having a flower bed with bulbs. As the planting time is october/november I still have plenty of time to figure out how exactly it needs to be done. Unfortunately I can not find anything useful and special for our area. :(

I have tons of questions, please help me if you can!

1. First of all is it a realy difficult to grow bulbs in Las Vegas?

2. Is the winter cold enough or they need to be chilled in the fridge?

3. Best timing for planting/chilling?

4. What kind of plants are OK in here? I am thinking about Crocus, Dwarf Daffodil, Early snow glories, Rudy tritelia, spring starflowers, Iris, Early snowdrops... would love to have tulips and lilies, but I think they are even more difficult to grow...:(

5. How abot watering? Drip system for winter and summer both or is it no good for them? How much water?

6. I am thinking about making a planter in the ground, remove the "clay" and replace it with potting soil about 12-18" deep. Good idea or not?

7. How about container? Is it easier? Same procedure as in ground or any diferences?

8. After blooming (hopefuly) what do i need to do not to kill them? let the foliage "die" and leave in ground/container for the hot summer and stop watering or i need to remove them and store? (actually I have no idea where to store them, because the temerature in the garage is ... sometimes higher then outside, and I think even the house isn't cool enough to store them (usually 80 F).

So please anyone who knows about this help!

Thanks in advanced.

Maria

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor