SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Slug baits

Jon 6a SE MA
11 years ago

First; I don't have big slug problems which probably disqualifies me as an expert but....

After seeing so many posts on slug bait use and the disappointing results coupled with the fact they are harmful to pets and a danger to children; I wonder if there are not better approaches.

My slug control is minimal as I simply run copper wire around beds if damage appears. Even without the wire there is not a great deal of damage.

Slugs lay eggs by the thousands and placing bait kills many, but it also attracts more and it seems a huge and probably useless battle to try and win. I have used beer traps before and this, to me , seems to work great. It attracts slugs and kills them effectively at very low cost. Simply dump the dead slugs and put in new beer each night. I think the beer bait would attrack more and would be a greater attractant for slugs (?) Of course attracting slugs isn't the problem, killing them is.

I see beer bait / traps as a non-poisonous, possibly more effective and less expensive slug control. I just wonder what the experience of others might be.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus