SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

With Maples can you ever have hosta?

arcy_gw
14 years ago

I mentioned in another thread in a couple of weeks I plan to give 40 some plants to a friend, the bulk will be hosta. I went over to her yard to get a better feel for her "needs" and to my surprise I found FIVE of the seven trees on her property are Maples. At my house I found if I snuck a very small one/two eyed plant in a hole where digging is all but impossible the plants seem to find their way and grow to a full size. I am wondering if there is ANY hope this would work at her house. I have read much on how maples have these awful root systems, but I have no problem getting plants to grow under evergreens so I was wondering if there is any hope?

She has a back corner with what looks like a weeping maple (I am sure it is a tree that has not been properly pruned and now can't decide if it is a shrub or a tree) I was hoping to plant a variety of hosta there around her birdbath. She has grass in her yard, so some things grow. I know the best answer is to cut the deformed maple out, but remember it is not my yard and for some reason she is attached to what little she does have growing.

Comments (18)

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I grow a very wide variety of things under a huge Norway Maple, and know others who also grow things under maples, including hosta. I know folks say you can't. That might be true in some cases. It's not for me. I don't know what the difference is. Maybe prep; I had someone come in and install a shade bed, they tilled just the top few inches of spoil, then laid down two or three yards of topsoil, into which my plants were planted.

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I grow hostas under maples. I have sugar maples and crimson king maples. However, I did add soil on top of the existing soil when I first built the beds so that may have helped.
    Jen

• Related Discussions

Strangest hosta I have ever seen

Q

Comments (9)
    YES!!!! I have a Fragrant Blue doing exactly that on 2 leaves. I've been out there a few times trying to piece the spikes back together thinking it's ripped and I can't figure out the curvature & where it ripped. Reality...it didn't rip, it's just weird. I just bought it (a larger clump) last year, so this is the first year coming up on it's own. I planted it well, so there's nothing irregular with the site / how I planted / depth, etc. I've grown many over 10 years. This is the first I've seen this. Being the first year of growing up on it's own, can't comment on whether this happens from time to time on this plant. Gayle
    ...See More

Have you ever seen such a TALL scape on a hosta?

Q

Comments (3)
    Krossa Regal will approach 6' tall on the scapes. Paul
    ...See More

Bent Trunk Maple Seedling - Can it Ever Recover?

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree to let nature take its course. I have an Austrian Pine that the 10 1/2 feet of snow during the 2013-14 winter season bent over so far the leader touched the ground. And it was a hard bend that would have made trying to stake difficult without snapping even though it was perhaps only 5-6 feet tall. It started to right itself pretty quickly after being freed of its snowy bonds. It looks good as new today. Yours might take a little longer, but it would be interesting to watch... especially since you indicated this is just one of several seedlings you had taken.
    ...See More

Have you ever planted Hosta seeds?

Q

Comments (32)
    Karin..very cute seedlings!..I should've tried that..this geranium was in my garage until a week or so ago..turned cold and I brought it in..all of us should just sell the furniture and convert our houses into greenhouses lol..my first time saving a geranium..
    ...See More
  • esox48
    14 years ago

The best growing hostas in my yard are right under a sugar maple. Everything near the maple grows like a weed.

Including this Sun Power. Picture from last year. Is now over 60 inches across. That's the maple behind it.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will give it a try. My biggest fear is they all die and it leaves her with a place for weeds to grow! You have renewed my resolve, Bless you all!

• lindac
    14 years ago

As far as I can remember, ken is the only one who says he can't grow hosta under a maple, and I think that it's because of his very sandy soil and all the root systems have to be in the top 4 inches of soil.
    I grow hosta very well under sugar maples and under amur maples. I know people who have a lovely hosta garden in the shade of a silver maple and another under box elder trees which are acer negrundo.
    I have lots of rich soil for everything!
    Linda C

• hostasformez4
    14 years ago

The silver maple I have is almost 50 years old..I too added top soil and planted hostas there.

Well 10+ years later some died, some grew but were smaller. I removed all the important hostas and now have just very common ones planted there.

Live and learn. I work with what I have in my yard and make the most of the only really big shade trees I have.

Connie

href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/hostasformez4/?action=view¤t=005-3.jpg"; target="_blank">

The tree is only partually seen in the upper left hand corner of the picture.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

arcy, my advice as a gardener, and not necessarily as a hosta grower, is to try a small area first, and not invest a lot of money ion plants to begin with. You should be able to tell fairly soon how well they will do and if it would be wise to add more plants. I also recommend adding a couple inches of soil where the planting bed will be.

Happy planting!

• idiothe
    14 years ago

not all maples are created equals...

Silver maple is a fast growing... some would say "weed"... tree. It is noted for the network of fine thread-like roots it forms right at the surface. I don't think slow-growing elegant maples like the sugar maple are nearly as competitive...

It affects hostas two ways. One, the fine roots capture all the food and moisture to produce fast tree growth before they can be absorbed by the deeper hosta roots. Two, the roots actually strangle hosta roots, growing around and through the hosta roots.

With lots of water and top dressing, you can grow hostas there... but eventually they will get smaller and smaller.

I am very intrigued by the planting bags available. They were invented in Canada for use by shrub and tree nurseries. They feel like your usual permeable garden fabric, but these are impregnated with copper. Copper stops root growth.

The nurserymen use these to naturally root prune the plant they place in the bag, making a denser root ball with no roots growing out into other pots or the ground.

A hosta grower turns the bag inside out and plants in it. The copper turns away the encroaching roots. You leave about 1 inch of the bag above the soil so the roots won't go up-and-over... some folks spoke very positively about these bags when I saw them at the convention...

Alternatively - find a landscaping company and recycle some of their 10 or 20 gallon pots... the big pots they get trees in... most times they just send these off to the landfill. You can dig in the pots, leaving the rim above the soil level. People really on top of things give the pot a quarter turn every few months, snapping off the maple roots that will inevitably invade the pots through the drain holes.

I used to do shovel pruning... once a year I used my long shovel to cut a circle around each hosta, cutting off the maple roots. It got old. I cut down the tree...

• sassy7142
    14 years ago

I'm growing hosta under my Silver and Norway Maple trees.
    When I water my hostas I lay the water hose down on the ground and totally drown the whole area around the trees.
    That system of watering seems to be working well for me.

• bragu_DSM 5
    14 years ago

Maples tend to have a shallow root system, and they are thirsty.

I've begun an experiment by digging my hole, and lining it with that black cloth you are supposed to be able to put on top of the ground to keep down weeds. It has to be a fairly large hole. Then I line it, and fill the hole with amended soil  pine bark mulch and peat moss go into the mix.

This is a trial run. I plan to dig it up again in about 2-3 years to see if the experiment works. It sounds sound, however.

Remember to water a lot.

dave

• keanaz5a
    14 years ago

I have hosta growing under huge silver and sugar maples( seven total in the back yard). They are all in the Spin-out bags that Jim is talking about. I had tried to grow them for years with no success. All they were doing was dwindling away to nothing, no matter what I did. Two years ago I dug them all up and started over in the spin-out bags. Which I heard about on this forum. It's made a huge difference already. I can't wait until my leap year next year to see what happens. Here are a couple pics of them this year. I was determined to grow hosta, but am not willing to give up my shade. So far, so good.

• kjhosta
    14 years ago

I HAVE A MAPLE AND I PLANTED HOSTAS AROUND AND YES THE PLANTS COULD HAVE DONE BETTER, I THOUGHT ABOUT CUTTING TREE DOWN , NO PROBALY NOT AN OPTION. I WONDER IF I BUILD AREA UP AROUND TREE WITH 4-5" OF SOIL AND LEAVE LANSCAPE FIBER THAT IS ALREADY THERE WOULD BE AN OPTION AND REPLANT THE PLANTS, DOES THIS SOUND WORKABLE ?? KJ

• thisismelissa
    14 years ago

kjhosta
    This is NOT a good idea.
    Building up the soil will in essence cause the tree to be planted too deeply and will smother it.

• Janice
    14 years ago

WHOAA, kj--you're hurting my ears! LOL I guess you're as excited about hosta as the rest of us! :o)

I have some landscape fabric that I had thought to use in a whiskey barrel as a lining, but when I
    experimented with water found it did not allow for good drainage so wonder if that could work for
    you with the roots. I'd hate to go to all the trouble of building up the area with 4-5" of soil to
    find out otherwise. But, IF you find it didn't work you could always go to the spin-out bags, BUT,
    you'd have to dig down and cut out the fabric in the chosen spot, because the bags are fairly
    deep--much deeper than the depth you'd have with your build-up!

And, I agree--the SILVER Maple, more specifically, is the biggest problem in planting around!!
    They have VERY shallow roots that can get as large as an arm! It takes a very determined hosta
    grower to make it work--like Sassy!!!

• sassy7142
    14 years ago

A couple years ago I bought a big bunch of those SpinOut bags, but my hubby had cancer surgery the following spring which left him weaker then usual and can't operate his auger for digging holes for me.

I only used 3 of the bags so far. (I dug the holes myself, thank you). LOL

Here's my take on them...They may work BUT, they are sized all wrong for hostas.
    They are waaaaay tooooo deep.

I have a Sum & Substance, Papou's Liberty and ? planted in the biggest I could buy (5 gal size).

That Sum & Substance is now 3 ft wide and doing great, but
    I'm wondering what its roots are doing down below in that long and narrow bag.
    The bags are so deep I have to either cut off several inches off the top or row the top over.

Either way it looks really ugly in the winter when the plants are sleeping.

This is IMHO, of course

• sassy7142
    14 years ago

Maples are well known to be the biggest problem, but if you ever saw the roots of a Sweet Gum Tree you may change your mind.

I just lay the hose down, turn on the water and walk away until the ground is drowned.

Our water bill is enormous during the summer, but my hostas are my only vice. LOL

(Hope you don't mind the double spacing...I find it easier on the eyes using a monitor)

• kjhosta
    14 years ago

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT , THE CHAINSAW SOUNDS REALY GOOD AT THIS POINT LOL BUT THE STILL HAVE TO DIG ALL THE ROOTS,
    I HAVE TO WAIT FOR FALL TO SEE WHAT COLOR, WHEN YOU PLANT YOUR YARD INITIALLY WELL YOU ALL KNOW. WILL KEEP WORKING ON IT ...