Aristolochia erecta, Swan flower care ?

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have germinated 4 swann flower plants ( Aristolchia erecta). I need to choose a place to plant it. I live on a piece of land in the alkaline uplands of Central Texas. I have a grass land with alkaline adobe soil in the front and limestone brackett soils in the rest. Is this a grass land plant. Does it need FULL sun or can it use half day sun in a dryer leaner soil. Can it take a caliche based soil?. Any more info about it? Can it take dry out or do I need to keep it where I can give them some water?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

I wonder how the plant got its name, erecta, when it is only a foot tall. Obviously I can't grow it, this TX site has a bit of info.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ARER

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is called "erecta" because the flower stands up like a snakes head. I have already been to the LBJ site , it was the first place I went.. I was looking for actual info from experience. I have found that This site is sometimes wrong about the rarer ones, and a texan's idea of "moist" is variable.LOL. Another site says "river Banks, hillsides and Chaparral" . That is a lot of variability in those three words. It is native in Central Texas but the soils differ immensely along with the available water..

Save    
gardenforum

Hi,

i am new to this forum. I wondered if you could tell me how you germinated your Aristolochia erecta plants and where did you end up planting them? I have some seeds and wasn't sur if I needed to stratify, scarily or otherwise treat them before planting. I'm in Austin. And thanks.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I did not scarify them. They like heat to germinate. I put them in a 4" pot of dirt. and they germinated in heat. I planted some VERY old seed this spring and they came up a couple of weeks ago.

Save