Source of Rosa setigera

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Anyone know of a mail order source of this native Texas rose ?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Prairie moon should have seeds and bare root plants. They ship bare root stock of some species in the fall.

It isn't too difficult from seed. I grew a bunch this year from hips someone had given me on a whim. I cleaned the seeds, rubbed them between two pieces of fine sandpaper, moist stratified in the fridge for 3 months and got nearly 100% germination. After one growing season the plants are about 2 feet tall. Hoping I will get some blooms next year.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Hmm, I never thought Prairie Moon up north would have it...I'll check it out.
That's what I'm wanting to skip (if I can), a year or more of seedlingness. I expect a desert rose to grow pretty slowly :(

Edit: I'm an idiot...I meant rosa stellata. I typed setigera...no wonder you said Prairie Moon had it. I looked and looked at the pic and thought, this is not what I had in mind (lol)...darn mind...always failing me. Maybe I'll type rosa arkansana instead (by accident).

I'll start a thread titled Stellata (or try) unless you have some suggestions today (lol)?

This post was edited by dbarron on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 7:37

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

Nope, not familiar with R. stellata. If it isn't commonly cultivated it might be worth looking for some native plant societies within its natural range. It was a native plant society event where I was given the R. setigera seeds.

Save    
Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Grasses Let Nature Inspire Your Landscape: Grasslands to Garden
Don't struggle with trying to artfully match flowers and grasses for a garden design — just look to the source
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Childproof Your Home: Expert Advice
Safety strategies, Part 1: Get the lowdown from the pros on which areas of the home need locks, lids, gates and more
Full Story
Great Home Projects How to Install a Dimmer Switch
New project for a new year: Take control of your lighting to set the right mood for entertaining, dining and work
Full Story