Some of my Trees and shrubs look like they are dying. Please Help

KandyR

Hello All!..I'm new here and I am new in the Gardening department as well. Bought a house 11 months ago with fabulous organic grounds, native trees and plants. We're doing the best we can, and are starting to get the hold on things.Now some of the trees (Mature) are looking scorched in clumps. We never water them because the grounds are always moist in their area. Now our Hydrangeas are getting yellow (we water as needed) and the Japanese maples as well. And there is a list of other shrubs that are loosing leaves. Any suggestions for this Newbie Georgia Gardener (Zone 7) about the reason our trees are looking scorched will be very appreciated!!

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Kandy, please take this as just an initial shot at attempting to find the cause of your situation: Do be aware-it is possible to overwater plants. Some of the visual cues that this is happening include chlorosis(Yellowing of foliage that is supposed to be green) wilting stems and foliage (I know-sounds wrong, but is true), other off-color effects, and lack of vigor. And yes, all of these symptoms can be caused by numerous other causal agents! Wouldn't you know it!

So, it seems like you know what you're about with gardening, etc. Perhaps you can provide additional info for us.

Finally, while it is too early for "fall color", some plants each year do seem to show early color change. We don't always necessarily find out the reason(s) for this effect. Are you seeing something beyond just the odd coloration here and there....to a more general. systemic situation?

+oM

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trees How to Buy Healthy Trees and Shrubs
A healthy young plant with a strong form is more likely to do well in your yard. Here’s what to look for at the nursery
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Ceanothus Pleases With Nectar and Fragrant Blooms
West Coast natives: The blue flowers of drought-tolerant ceanothus draw the eye and help support local wildlife too
Full Story
Gardening Guides 8 Native Shrubs for Year-Round Bird Feeding
It’s not just about berries. These plants provide insects for birds and seasonal interest for gardeners
Full Story
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More