SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medabber

Cheap Deer Repellant that works

medabber
11 years ago

Deer have been a royal pain for the past two years (worse than typical). Have a neighbor with a salt lick and another that feeds throughout the winter. Last year, I saw a handful of daylily blooms. The are several hundred clumps here. They grazed a large area of hosta to the ground last year as well. That area has immature plants now that had been mature clumps in 2010. I found an old recipe and gave it the old Dean twist (if x is good ... twice is better or if three nails in a triangle are good, then a square with one in the center to form 4 triangles is better). Here is my version - no deer PROBLEMS the past three nights (fresh tracks but not damage): 5 eggs + a hot sauce that HAS garlic in it (used Louisiana Hot Sauce $.85 @ County Market) whole bottle + a teaspoon or so of Asian chili oil for added heat + a teaspoon or a bit less of liquid dish detergent to emulsify the oil and enough water to LIQUIFY + water to the concentrate = 2 gallons

No idea how long it will last. cheap enough to re-apply every few weeks if need be. (posting from Facebook American Hosta Society group - open to all)

It is now 3.5 weeks an first deer grazing spotted (numerous pass through leaving only tracks). three rains: 1.5, 1, and .25 respectively plus three times heavy overhead watering. Not bad. Just mixed up a new batch tonight - back out to it!

Comments (11)