seed storage

agkistrodon(6/7)

Hello.

I've been collecting seeds from Asclepias sp. and Cardinal flowers (Lobelia cardinalis) and some native lily species. The native lily seeds were contained in berries so I removed the pulp and sowed them. The Asclepias seeds require 30 days stratification and I don't want to sow them 'til the end of winter. I've read that the seeds of Asclepias sp.and many other natives species (native to mid Atlantic states) need to be fresh to achieve a decent germination rate but what is the definition of "fresh"? If I store them in a ziplock bag in the fridge until Jan will that be ok or should I be doing something else? How do you store your native plant seeds? Thank-you!

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

If you are not going to moist stratify them until later store them dry in the fridge. In my experience that will work for cardinal flower, A. tuberosa, and A. syriaca at least for the first winter. Also works for many other species. Some species where fresh seed is recommended need to be kept in a moist medium soon after they are collected. That would apply to many woodland species such as Trillium.

Save    
agkistrodon(6/7)

Thanks, Lycopus. Is it safe to assume that seeds that were formed in a berry or some other "fruit" need to be sown immediately (or kept in moist medium) and those that are "dry" can be stored dry for a period of time? I have some Asclepias amplexicaulis and A. exaltata seeds and I don't want to mess these up....I've had no problem w/ A. syriaca...hoping these other 2 will be as easy :)

Save    
lycopus(z5 NY)

I don't know if that's the case. I would expect those two species to survive a few months of dry refrigeration without losing viability.

Save    
agkistrodon(6/7)

Ok. Thank-you!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Choose Your Kitchen Cabinet Glass
Textured? Frosted? Seeded? Find the cabinet glass style that will set off your kitchen to its best advantage
Full Story
Kitchen Design 9 Questions to Ask When Planning a Kitchen Pantry
Avoid blunders and get the storage space and layout you need by asking these questions before you begin
Full Story
Fall Gardening Be Your Own Wildflower Nursery
Gather seeds from your garden in fall, and you'll have a selection of plants for next year — without spending a dime
Full Story