Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark?

edlincoln(6A)

Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark are on sale at my local Lowes for $7.50 for a fairly big plant. Which should I get?

I could either plant it on an eroding embankment or in a row of bushes concealing a superfluous fence.

It would be exposed to high winds and salt spray during hurricanes. Either clay soil or a mixture of sand and gravel depending on where I decide to put it.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheBlackTulip

It all depends on what you are looking for. Common Ninebark has unique bark and a lot of wildlife value when it comes to native bees. But Arrow-wood Viburnum has much better fall color, and is a host plant for the uncommon "Spring Azure" butterfly although, it lacks Common Ninebarks unique bark.

Save    
agardenstateof_mind(USDA Zone 7 (Coastal NJ))

Tough choice ... I'd probably wind up getting both, and you did say you have two potential locations ... but don't let me be a bad influence ;-)

You might find the information on the Mass. Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs website somewhat helpful, where they specificallly mention the following about ninebark:

"...fast growing and will re-sprout from the base vigorously if cut back. It can be used in a garden border, as a screen, or for erosion control on banks."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass. Energy & Env. Affairs - Coastal Landscaping

Save    
Barbara Meli

Check to see if viburnum leaf beetle is in your area. They just love arrowwood.

Save    
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Get both.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Yeah, both good plants. Arrowwood viburnum happens to be a personal favorite of mine but both are useful and native.

+oM

Save    
edlincoln(6A)

I purchased the ninebark.

Another thought. One of the sites I'm thinking of planting it has decent soil but a lot of invasive English ivy. The other has sand and gravel, honeysuckle, and poison ivy (A native, yay!)

Would English Ivy kill this plant? For some reason it hasn't killed any other trees, but this is a young one.

Save    
edlincoln(6A)

Update. This is one of the two bargain-bin ninebark the next Spring.

Save    
ellessebee

I bought 3 of Ninebark at Lowes 3 years ago. A variety of colors. I stuck them in the back of the property as colorful screening. Wooded setting, only a few hours of sun daily and no TLC. Three years later I have a new mission for them. One is still very small and the other 2 were about 7 feet tall but leggy until I cut them back. They were growning among ferns and other garden recluses and struggling to keep their heads above water. After a couple of weeks now they are pushing out new grown towards the bottom. I am hoping that next spring I will have some beautiful plants, and I'm rooting the trimmings.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Viburnum Rafinesquianum Colors the Fall Woodland
Plant downy arrowwood in eastern and midwestern U.S. gardens for spring color in the shade and bright red fall foliage
Full Story
Gardening Guides Garden-Friendly Native Alternatives to Overplanted Exotics
There are lots of gorgeous, wildlife-friendly native plants ready to make an appearance in your garden
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Feed the Birds: 6 Plants for Abundant Winter Berries
Be kind to your fair feathered friends during lean food times by planting a shrub or tree loaded with nutritious snacks
Full Story
Premier Home Services, Inc. has been providing custom remodeling services to Loudoun County and the Surrounding... Read More