SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemon_poppy_gw

A newbie with a lot of questions!

Lemon_Poppy
18 years ago

I've been reading GW since early this summer and have learned quite a bit. My husband and I expanded an exsisting flowerbed, amended the soil and planted over 30 different perennials. Most of them have done quite well, though the bed still looks pretty sparse I think it will be lovely when it matures a bit. A few haven't done so well, but I've decided this is my learning curve and I'll swap them out and replace them with other plants.

Now I'm coming to the end of blooming season for some of them and I'm not sure what to do. Some are looking pretty awful and some are ok but I still have a few questions.

I thought I'd come here and ask for some advice. So here goes:

Rudbeckia Goldstrum: When the bloom fades do I cut it back? How much? Do they reseed themselves from the centers??

Echinacea Magnus and Ruby Star: Same question as above.

Cranesbill Johnson Blue: Had the most gorgeous blue flowers but appears to be "done" now? What do I do to it?

Pervoskia Little Spire (Russian Sage): It's doing real well but looks a little leggy and sparse. Should I cut it back some to help it bush out?

Bee Balm Panorama Red Shades: This one is taking a bit of a beating from the hot sun. I have 3, one bloomed, the other two didn't. Should I cut them back now?

Heliopsis Sommersonne: Same questions as the Rudbeckia and Echinacea.

Gray Santolina Cotton Lavendar: Doesn't look very bushy, more straggly. Hasn't flowered yet.

Penstemon Lilliput Rose: Seems to be having a hard time. No blooms on it now and some of the foliage is crispy. Should I cut it back? How much? Such a pretty plant.

Phlox (Davids White, Starfire and Laura) The David has bloomed and I'm not sure...do I cut it back? The Laura just bloomed and is beautiful, so same question after the blooms dies off, do I cut it back? The Starfire has done nothing though it looks healthy.

Nepeta Walkers Low: Looks great (except the one my daughter ran over with her car! but it's trying to come back!) When should I cut it back and by how much?

Platycodon Fairy Snow: Doing real well. Do I cut it back when it's done or wait till spring?

Boltonia Nana: This plant is doing fantastic though the flowers are a very pale pink almost white. What do I do with it once it has stopped blooming?

Stokesia Purple Parasols: Also doing great. What should I do when it stops blooming for the season?

Obediant Plant Crown of Snow: Once I got the hang of how much water it needed this plant has done splendid. How do I cut it back when it is done flowering?

Buddleia Nanho Blue: This bush has gotten huge. It's gorgeous. I believe I leave this one alone until spring correct?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions