Asclepias variegata seeds?

puffkit(6b/7a)

anyone have any white milkweed seeds..i know they are always in demand but trying to put in more natives....especially unusual milkweeds.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avid_gardener

I don't know of anyone who has any to trade, but if you are looking to purchase,
there is a guy in Texas that I have bought seed from for the past two years. The price is expensive, but they are very good seed. I've been growing milkweeds for a number of years now, and sometimes the seed I receive has been picked too soon, in which many germinate but do not have the energy to survive. His clearly has been collected at a sufficiently mature state.

Before I start going through my notes to try to recall who it was and where, are you looking for a seed source to purchase from? How many plants are you wanting to have in your garden?

If only a few, you might consider just purchasing a few live plants. I know of two native plant growers that may ship live plants, but they do not always have this species every year to sell. They too I would have to look up again.

Save    
ncrescue

remember, there is a milkweed forum now on GW. check there,too.

Save    
puffkit(6b/7a)

gardenspider.....any contact info/source would be appreciated...i would perfer seed but would gladly buy some live material also.
thanks

Save    
Lisa McCutcheon-Witherspoon

hi...i am also looking for Redring seeds if anyone knows where i can get some, willing to purchase and pay for shipping as well...thanks

Save    
avid_gardener

Bigfoot's Botanicals on eCrater. I think he collects the seed from an undeveloped lot he owns in Texas.

http://bigfootsbotanicals.ecrater.com/p/17647970/redring-milkweed-asclepias-variegata-rare
http://bigfootsbotanicals.ecrater.com/p/28721625/300-redring-milkweed-asclepias-variegata-seeds
http://bigfootsbotanicals.ecrater.com/p/16234575/redring-milkweed-asclepias-variegata-rare

I bought from him two or three years in a row, and the seed was good. After that the price for the seed was beyond what I would be willing to pay, in addition to I don't plan on growing any more of that species. I live just outside of its native range. Mine flower, but none are ever able to set seed because I have too many insects that eat milkweed, probably because I have so many milkweed species in such a close proximity. Even some insects I did not even know eat milkweed, like one of the blister beetle species. I looked up the links on eCrater and included them here, looks like he is offering a lot of 300 seeds.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
California Native Plants Great Design Plant: Asclepias Is Attractive to Monarch Butterflies
Increase monarch butterfly populations in California by planting stunning native milkweeds
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Asclepias Sullivantii
Celebrate the pollinator community that flocks to this rare prairie native’s nectar and leaves
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Asclepias Incarnata for a Butterfly Garden
Beautiful swamp milkweed makes it easy to help monarchs and other pollinators in eastern U.S. gardens
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More
We are a company that cares about our clients and the craftsmanship of the work we provide. Honesty, hard work,... Read More