Please ID this wildflower--purple leaves & blossom

SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)(5a MI)

Not long ago I posted about wild violets. These plants are growing along with them and I'd like to know what they are as well. The bumblebees love them. As mentioned, I'm trying to cultivate this area into a lawn. I transplanted as many as I could to the wild area in back before mowing today. They and the violets perked right up after watering so I'm hopeful they'll take right off and continue flowering. ID appreciated!

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claricia

Looks like purple dead nettle. :)

Save    
SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)(5a MI)

Wow, thanks for the quick ID. That's it! When I saw "nettle" I wondered why they didn't sting me, then I googled it and learned what the "dead" meant. Apparently edible as well. Thanks!

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, Lamium pupureum aka Red Dead Nettle. An introduced alien in the US generally considered to be a weed species.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

....and not too terribly different from Lamium maculatum, a popular though non-native groundcover plant. I'm partial to Lamium maculatum 'var aureum', the golden-foliaged form.

+om

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers 10 Beautifully Blossoming Spring Centerpieces
Pick a single stem or gather a bouquet. Whatever your style, there's a fresh spring floral arrangement here for you
Full Story
Fall Gardening Be Your Own Wildflower Nursery
Gather seeds from your garden in fall, and you'll have a selection of plants for next year — without spending a dime
Full Story
Summer Gardening Houzz Call: Please Show Us Your Summer Garden!
Share pictures of your home and yard this summer — we’d love to feature them in an upcoming story
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More